Fish poppin to the top...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29g freshwater tank. I have 4 angel fish, mid size, 1 dinosaur bischir eel (he's still small), a large rainbow shark (5inches or so), a large black banded leporinus (5in), and a pictus catfish (5-6 inches).

I know that is at its capacity if not over it, but I do use a Magnum 350 canister filter pushing 100 gph. It is moderately planted, with a very nice log driftwood log for cover. All the fish get a long, minor roughness here and there, but overall a happy tank.

I have noticed as of late all of, with the exception of the pictus, are popping up to the top. Mouth open just making little bubbles. I feed them twice a day due to Angels. They are fed flakes & pellets twice a day. If I am gone for the night and come home in the morning, they are sure to be at the top letting me know they are hungry. This is very common that they let me know when they are hungry. However, after feeding, the fish return to the normal mosying around the tank; normally. Now, after eating, they just keep to the top for a long while before returning to swim around. This has just started a few days ago, so I am unsure as to what would be going on.

Things that have been done prior to the fish hanging around the top:
-Water change : 25%
-New Filter (rinsed with old filter)
-75% refill of carbon.
-Rearrangement of tank items.

But all of that is common, so what's going on here? I have had 75% of my fish for a year or so, the remaining for at least 3 months. Am I just being overly worried, because I do <3 my little guys n gals.

Thanks in advance,
Justin S.

:thanks:

Of your fish are gasping at the surface your water could be lacking in oxygen. That's a possibility. You can try to aerate the surface more, what type of filter are you using? Is it hitting the water causing the surface to me agitated?

Convict2161 said:
Of your fish are gasping at the surface your water could be lacking in oxygen. That's a possibility. You can try to aerate the surface more, what type of filter are you using? Is it hitting the water causing the surface to me agitated?

I agree with the oxygen thing. Your canister probably isn't agitating the surface enough.

And also many of those fish get a little big for a 30. And the angels will fight IMO as they get bigger.

tarpon said:
I agree with the oxygen thing. Your canister probably isn't agitating the surface enough.

And also many of those fish get a little big for a 30. And the angels will fight IMO as they get bigger.

I agree you should add an air stone or something.

Your angels will most likely kill each other in that size tank so I suggest getting rid of 3 or upgrading to a larger tank 55+ gallons just for the angels.

Actually, I was getting a little annoyed when sleeping with the water splashing the top of the surface, so I brought down the water return about an inch. So right now the return is just a hair or so under the surface.

I have had absolutely no problems with my Angels when it comes to fighting. When they were growing (6+ months ago or so) they did pick on each other a little bit.. but I rarely see them messing with each other now. They almost 'school' together, pretty neat to watch. I do have an aerator, I'll go ahead and throw it back in there and see how they respond to it.

I don't have room for a larger tank, they did come from a 55g but I had to get rid of it when moving and down grade a little bit. It saddened me, but gotta make sacrifices sometimes.

Oh, and btw, it's a Marineland 350 Magnum Canister filter. Works great, clear water, no algae, easy to clean :) I only use the media holder with filter wrap around it on a daily basis, and use the biowheel looking filter when doing vacuum sweeps. -- Canister Filter | Magnum 350 Canister Filter for Everyday Filtration --

I'll post here in few days, I'm gonna go put the aerator back in! :fish2:

Can I recommend that you do a 50-75% water change every week. That should help with the oxygen issue and with the oxygen. Even two 50% water changes a week wouldn't hurt.

Can I recommend that you do a 50-75% water change every week. That should help with the oxygen issue and with the oxygen. Even two 50% water changes a week wouldn't hurt.

This is my method:

Week one, 25% water change. Rinse filter out in water taken out.
Week two, 50% water change, new filter sleeve (rinsed with previous filter)
Every month and a half to two months, I replace carbon & power wash all the rocks, drift wood, and artificial plants. Then rinse them in the old water and put back into the tank.

But back to original thing, I think I found out my problem. As I was putting my hose in the tank, I put my hand in front of the return valve and to my avail, no current. So I looked at my canister filter, and there are disconnect knobs so you can take the hose apart without getting water everywhere. It was set in the off position. So here I am running no filter for 2-3 days. Crap!

Well I have it running now, didn't put the aerator in yet, I want to see if this works. If it don't, then I'll try out the aerator.

I'm sorry for not noticing :(

KreativJustin said:
This is my method:

Week one, 25% water change. Rinse filter out in water taken out.
Week two, 50% water change, new filter sleeve (rinsed with previous filter)
Every month and a half to two months, I replace carbon & power wash all the rocks, drift wood, and artificial plants. Then rinse them in the old water and put back into the tank.

But back to original thing, I think I found out my problem. As I was putting my hose in the tank, I put my hand in front of the return valve and to my avail, no current. So I looked at my canister filter, and there are disconnect knobs so you can take the hose apart without getting water everywhere. It was set in the off position. So here I am running no filter for 2-3 days. Crap!

Well I have it running now, didn't put the aerator in yet, I want to see if this works. If it don't, then I'll try out the aerator.

I'm sorry for not noticing :(

Your week two plan isnt good. You should never change your filter media unless it's falling apart by doing so you're killing bacteria. You should only rinse half of it in old tank water one week and the other half in old tank water the next week. As for carbon it's unnecessary unless you're taking meds out of the water. I still think you should do larger pwcs.

Well I figured that my carbon would hold/contain some residue though right? I suppose I can change out the water more often. I have just never had a problem with 'cloudiness' or algae in this tank since buying the new canister filter.

I'll keep it in mind and start changing out 50% every week and see how it goes. Do you recommend vacuuming every week? Bc right now I do it biweekly.

Just thought of this now but by testing your nitrates you will be able to decide how much water needs to be changed. Try to keep them under 20ppm. When they get close to 20 u need a water change.

Well, been keeping a close eye on them and everything has returned back to normal.

I personally don't like tubes running through the tank, as why I quit using aerators, so I juts dropped it behind the return valve. Now it blows bubbles right under the top of the water and a crossed the tank.

I don't know how much that's going to help, seeing as how the aeration isn't at the bottom. But it seems to agitate the top of the water a bit more, and the fish are back to the normal habits.

Gas exchange is caused mainly by the surface agitation...as I understand it

+1
I agree. If the water surface isn't being broken, you're likely to have low levels of oxygen. This is even more important in a saltwater environment.

Your week two plan isnt good. You should never change your filter media unless it's falling apart by doing so you're killing bacteria. You should only rinse half of it in old tank water one week and the other half in old tank water the next week. As for carbon it's unnecessary unless you're taking meds out of the water. I still think you should do larger pwcs.

+1 on this too. My rule is don't change your filter media unless your filter is starting to get blocked :) When it's blocked, just swish it in some old tank water to keep as much bacteria around as possible.

I run Carbon in my filter continually - it helps with water clarity as well as removing toxins and meds.

One Angelfish per 10 gallons of water is a general guideline. I wouldn't keep more than two full grown Angels in a 29 gallon. Once they hit sexual maturity at around 1 year, all bets are off with what you previously perceived as peaceful temperaments.

Back
Top Bottom