fish room maintanence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was wondering what those of you with multiple tanks do to avoid cross contamination. For instance do you have a separate net for each tank? What about siphons? If one is breeding fish to sell its seems that it would be prudent to have these things for each tank just in case there is an outbreak of something. How does everyone else feel about this? If each tank does not have their own nets, siphons etc how do you sterilize the equipment before using it in another tank?

I don't breed fish but I do have quite a few tanks that share equipment.

Saltwater tank has its own set of stuff aside from the siphon hose.

Honestly I don't do anything unless I have a tank that has a disease. I just dry off the net before using it in another tank.

I'd i have an infected tank I just use one net on that tank only.

My tanks share fertilizers, nets, even a filter if need be.

Caleb

I keep equipment separate for quarantine and healthy tanks. For example quarantine nets go in a bucket of general cure and the nets for healthy tanks get hung back up to dry. Also anything used for growouts is for that purpose only, just in case.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My freshwater quarantine tank is actually outside empty with a cheap net inside. I keep a spare filter running on one tank to have it ready if needed.

Besides that only thing I separate is my buckets for salt water and freshwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have many different nets,syphons, bucket...
I try to keep a set group of tanks separated from other set groups and can soak any of my equipment in bleach, or potassium permanganate any time I worry.
For the most case I keep my marine stuff more separated as marine issues are way more difficulty to deal with.
I do use my marine stuff on freshwater tanks without issue or hesitation.

Where can I obtain potassium permanganate in the US? I know it has a few uses and I'd like to use it to disinfect. What are the handling precautions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a lot of tanks and am selling to a LFS now so maybe I should just get the big bucket. I'll look for it. Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom