Fish room question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crinkledaces

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of setting up a fish room in my shed in the backyard and was wondering if I should have any concerns when winter rolls in. I live in North Carolina and the temperature gets down to the low 20-30s at night on some of the coldest nights and I was wondering if my water heaters can keep the water at the set temperature in these conditions. The shed is insulated but I don't have a heat source in there at the moment. Tyia

I was thinking of setting up a fish room in my shed in the backyard and was wondering if I should have any concerns when winter rolls in. I live in North Carolina and the temperature gets down to the low 20-30s at night on some of the coldest nights and I was wondering if my water heaters can keep the water at the set temperature in these conditions. The shed is insulated but I don't have a heat source in there at the moment. Tyia

Is the insulation covered as in drywall or wood paneling also as for heating a couple of space heaters should do if you have electrical hookup in your shed

Wooden walls with pink insulation. Yes I have power but wouldn't a space heater be real expensive to run

Wooden walls with pink insulation. Yes I have power but wouldn't a space heater be real expensive to run

Actually it'd probably cost less than in wall maybe depending on the type of hookups you have in the shed I couldn't actually be sure completely without actually being inside to look around lol a good electric one is around 70-100$ for me a space heater lowers the bill than the one in my wall lower use electricity is why also covering the walls also would help prevent the insulation which is fiberglass from getting into your tanks some pics would be helpful too

I use space heat in my fishroom and it is much cheaper than tank heaters. Just think what your electric bill would be if all the lights and appliances in your house went on and off several times hourly all day and night each month. My fishroom is almost 600 sq. ft. and I have two $40 heaters running it yearround.

I use space heat in my fishroom and it is much cheaper than tank heaters. Just think what your electric bill would be if all the lights and appliances in your house went on and off several times hourly all day and night each month. My fishroom is almost 600 sq. ft. and I have two $40 heaters running it yearround.

Really so you think a 1,000 watt space heater is more energy efficient then a 100-150w fish tank heater ? Honestly if the tanks are only going to see 20-30f weather... I would just get a double size heater for the tank size and put it in the middle of the tank and call it a day.. Id rather have a 200w heater, heating my fish tank then space heaters heating the ambient air.....

It depends how many tanks and therefore heaters you're running. If you have a hundred tanks then running space heaters make sense, but if you're only running 10 or so then you may as we'll stick to internal heaters, so both are right, from a certain point of view :)

I was thinking of setting up a fish room in my shed in the backyard and was wondering if I should have any concerns when winter rolls in. I live in North Carolina and the temperature gets down to the low 20-30s at night on some of the coldest nights and I was wondering if my water heaters can keep the water at the set temperature in these conditions. The shed is insulated but I don't have a heat source in there at the moment. Tyia[/QUOTE

Stick a 10 gal in the freezer with some water in it and a heater in it and see what happens lol . Do you have a nice box? Might be easier. 10 gal would probably fit inside a freezer though to test it out. There is probably a chart somewhere online showing how much energy you need to keep the water at a certain temp in a certain weather temp

Really so you think a 1,000 watt space heater is more energy efficient then a 100-150w fish tank heater ? Honestly if the tanks are only going to see 20-30f weather... I would just get a double size heater for the tank size and put it in the middle of the tank and call it a day.. Id rather have a 200w heater, heating my fish tank then space heaters heating the ambient air.....

Reason for the space heater is that in a cold room the heaters in the tank have to work harder when the room temperature is colder putting strain on the the heaters therefore having a space heater will help keep the tanks in balance and not to much of a temp swing causing stress on the fish

2 55 gallon 5 20 gallon 1 40 gallon 1 30 gallon and 2 10 gallon

How big is your shed and you've got me beat on tanks lol I've only got 4 running atm, now as before if you get a chance some pics of the shed will help me help you in what is needed i work maintenance at my Apts so I do a lot of remodeling using insulation drywall etc...

Ok will do it took me all day to get them to my house. Lol I'm wore out but ill try to get some up tomorrow if not on sat

Back
Top Bottom