fish schooling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Harlequin Rasbora. Because I think one is getting picked on by the other, I went to store to get two more thinking they need to be in school. In two pet shops, they had 10-20 per tank. I noticed they do not swim together. All articles I read say they are schooling fish.

Are the fish I saw bad stock? They seem healthy. Any ideas why fish don't school in the pet shops? I am worry that they might not school if I buy them.

Thanks

Fish often only school when you put them in a tank with other species. So I've noticed, but this is my observation not scientifically proven fact.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your fish or those in the Fish Store. I'm guessing that if you place them in a tank with a gourami or a rainbowfish, they'll start to school right away.

Schooling is usually a defense mechanism for fish, so they're more likely to feel like keeping in a bunch if they're not the only species in a tank. E.g. The moment I put a predatory fish in my 55 Gallon, my zebra danios (scatterbrained and childish up to this point) started schooling like mad! Took them out of there, though, so they wouldn't be eaten. But their behavior REALLY changed when they felt threatened!

Hope this helps, and that you have a large enough aquarium to add some gouramis or rainbows.

Why use gourami or a rainbowfish to get Harlequin to school? Are Gourami and Rainbowfish predators? I thought they are peaceful fish like Tetras.

Thanks

Yep, you're right. They are peacuful fish (at least to other species--gouramis chase each other like crazy). But with them in the tank, the harlequins will almost certainly feel a closer bond, and want to stay together. I'd recommend a predatory fish, but it would sorta make the situation moot!

In my tanks, I've found that fish will generally swim haphazardly unless they are sharing the space with other species. When territories are settled, or when a slight-to-great threat is introduced, schooling often results...

This should help. Let us know what you're planning on getting to accompany the rasboras when you've decided!

Fish often only school when you put them in a tank with other species. So I've noticed, but this is my observation not scientifically proven fact.
i have 1 harlequin and he loves to school with my zebra danios. he was a loner fer awhile, but know that he's settled into the tank he'll school with just about anything.

sometimes the size of the tank effects schooling too

they fish won't form a school unless they feel they have enough room to manuver as a school.

sometimes fish of the same speices will gather together, forming a group, but dont' actually swim as a school unless given plenty of room.

Yes, the bigger the tank, the better, and the more fish in your mini school, the better. If you have the space for twenty of one type of fish, it would be more fun to watch than two or three. Think about it, in the wild, there can be more than two hundred of a type of fish in a school.

I've seen some discovery channel movies of it--it's absolutely incredible. Don't sardines travel in packs of 10s of 1000s? Isn't that what makes them so easy to catch? I think....

Current I have 2 Harlequin Rasbora and 2 Black skirt. I thought Harlequin will be happier if I get more for them to form a school. But reading your response, in a 10g tank, they might not care anyway. Maybe they are just as happy if I get other fish instead. Maybe I should get fish to fill the bottom part of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom