Fish scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't no if it's just me but has anybody noticed that there fish go up to the rocks and rub their sides on them?

Sent from my iPod touch using AA hahahahaha

Hobgob said:
I don't no if it's just me but has anybody noticed that there fish go up to the rocks and rub their sides on them?

IME it can be the first signs of an ick outbreak. Parasites make them itch, so they cratch it just like us.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Ick is when the fish starts swimming but not going anywhere right? And I just got a couple of new mollies and they were doing it to. Anyways you guys probably no more so what else are the earlier signs of ick?

no, ich is when you see white salt like spots on the fish and the fish scratches itself against everything as you described. Sometimes you won't see ich on the fish as it sometimes attacks the gills first...but scratching/flashing can mean several things...ich...velvet...or ammonia burns...check your water for ammonia.

i3k said:
no, ich is when you see white salt like spots on the fish and the fish scratches itself against everything as you described. Sometimes you won't see ich on the fish as it sometimes attacks the gills first...but scratching/flashing can mean several things...ich...velvet...or ammonia burns...check your water for ammonia.

My ammonia isnt present nitrites are 1.5ppm and nitrates are 20 I also just do a 20%pwc yesterday

I'd say my tank is just about doe cycling I didn't no to much at the start so I don't no what method I used I had fish in it. But nitrites are less then 1 and nitrates are like 30 now I'm gonna do a water Change tomorrow morning

So the scratching stopped it could have been ammonia burns if they heal over time, my ammonia was high at some point.

Mr. Limpet said:
Ammo will cause that, also burns their gills IME. PWC will cure that.

Another thing could have been iron or some other type of metals in the water could have been to high but then it would only happen after a pwc as they would have to get used to it right?

Hobgob said:
Another thing could have been iron or some other type of metals in the water could have been to high but then it would only happen after a pwc as they would have to get used to it right?

I'm not sure if iron or other elements would cause it, but it could be worth researching.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm not sure if iron or other elements would cause it, but it could be worth researching.

That's one of the reasons why I said it here. I read it when I was first trying to figure out what was wrong with my fish and I came around to seeing that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom