fish seem to have slowed down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new to the scene

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys i have a 37 gallon freshwater tank i have 2 angels,2 platys,1 parrot chilid,1bgk,2 snails,1 bushynose pleco. My aquarium is planted on one side of it, i have been doing this now for awhile so it wasn't wright away i recently added 3 of those jobe's ferterlizer sticks and everything seemed good. But now im starting to know my fish aren't very active anymore they just stay around my plants and they used to be everywhere. I only have the strips to check the water, so i don't have the exact numbers but the strips show my water is fine. I'm going to the pet store so i can get my water tested.
But until then i would like to know what you guys think about what is going on here, do you think the jobe sticks are causing this, or is it just me, maybe not enough air i do have air bubbles in there big strip running across the hole back of it.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

I would get the API Master Test Kit and post the numbers so we can see exactly what's going on. I'm guessing one of the parameters is out of wack. We will be able to help more after you get some accurate results. In the mean time I would do a partial water change and make sure you use a water conditioner like Prime.

hey guys i have a 37 gallon freshwater tank i have 2 angels,2 platys,1 parrot chilid,1bgk,2 snails,1 bushynose pleco. My aquarium is planted on one side of it, i have been doing this now for awhile so it wasn't wright away i recently added 3 of those jobe's ferterlizer sticks and everything seemed good. But now im starting to know my fish aren't very active anymore they just stay around my plants and they used to be everywhere. I only have the strips to check the water, so i don't have the exact numbers but the strips show my water is fine. I'm going to the pet store so i can get my water tested.
But until then i would like to know what you guys think about what is going on here, do you think the jobe sticks are causing this, or is it just me, maybe not enough air i do have air bubbles in there big strip running across the hole back of it.
When ever there is a problem and you can't test yourself, do a PWC to start.
Be warned, many FS test with strips too. Your best bet is to get your own API Master test kit. That way when you think something may be off you can find out for yourself. The API MTK is really easy and accurate but read the directions closely.
Strips are garbage and dangerous they give you a false sense of security that everything is alright when it isn't.
I don't know about the fertilizer sticks but some fertilizers can sometimes be acidic, maybe to acidic for your fish.

Welcome to AA .... you'll find the members to be knowledgable and helpful.

I'm going to tell you what is the general consensus at AA ... Strips are inaccurate, get the API Test master kit. If your LFS uses API kit to test the water then fine ... otherwise I've seen LFS's use strips themselves. It will help us better advise you once we know the water parameters .. i.e. .. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate..ph & water temp.

did one yesterday used ro water from my local fish store

I hate to say this but the LFS water isn't always that good either. If it's not yours and you didn't test it consider it suspect, always.
If you had your own API MTK you could test the RO water before you add it to your tank and know it's good. No more hoping or guessing.

ok guys i got
ammonia 0.50
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
ph.7.2

i go to a local guy for my water i havent had any problems with them what so ever but you guys are wright i dont go to petsmart and petco nothing like that

well there are my numbers what i can see is ammonia is getting up there but let me know what you think

I'd start doing at least PWC's immediately! At least 50% ..those ammo numbers are basically reaching, if not already, toxic levels for fish. Be prepared to go as far as 75% PWC. I'm sure others will chime in.

Ya man your ammo is high and your nitrate's are high to IMO. I would do 75% PWC today and then do at least a 50% PWC everyday until it goes down.

Ya man your ammo is high and your nitrate's are high to IMO. I would do 75% PWC today and then do at least a 50% PWC everyday until it goes down.

Yep .. forgot to mention about the nitrates ... but the ammo is your most pressing issue. Immediatev75% PWC, followed by 50% PWC's will help with both.

ok guys i got
ammonia 0.50
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
ph.7.2

i go to a local guy for my water i havent had any problems with them what so ever but you guys are wright i dont go to petsmart and petco nothing like that

well there are my numbers what i can see is ammonia is getting up there but let me know what you think

Yes, do the 50% PWC right away. your ammonia should never be above .25ppm or it will cause damage to your fish, 0ppm is of course the preferred number. The nitrAtes are a little high, this is another thing that you will get conflicting answers on, the max. nitrAte level.
You really need your own API Master test kit.
When I got mine I found out that even from the tap I register a small amount of ammonia, it's not even close to .25ppm but there is a small color change.
Since you can't test you can't know your base line water parameters. They can be helpful

Something is up somewhere, your ammonia shouldn't be .50ppm with nitrAtes at 40ppm.
How much and how often do you feed and what do you feed your fish?
Also I don't remember if you said, please forgive if you did.
What size tank do you have and what are the type of fish and how many?

alright guys got the water change done had them check the water for me readngs came out good tomorrow ill do another and let you guys know if i notice any difference

I would also do a good gravel vac with the next PWC to make sure you dont have decaying matter in the substrate. That will cause an ammonia spike too.

Yes, do the 50% PWC right away. your ammonia should never be above .25ppm or it will cause damage to your fish, 0ppm is of course the preferred number. The nitrAtes are a little high, this is another thing that you will get conflicting answers on, the max. nitrAte level.
You really need your own API Master test kit.
When I got mine I found out that even from the tap I register a small amount of ammonia, it's not even close to .25ppm but there is a small color change.
Since you can't test you can't know your base line water parameters. They can be helpful

Something is up somewhere, your ammonia shouldn't be .50ppm with nitrAtes at 40ppm.
How much and how often do you feed and what do you feed your fish?
Also I don't remember if you said, please forgive if you did.
What size tank do you have and what are the type of fish and how many?

i have 2 platys,2 dwarf guromies,1bgk,1 parrot chilid 2 snails,2 angels
37 gal tank
half planted
been feeding twice a day flakes in the morning blood worms at night

when i do the flakes i feed enough i dont think its much usually its all gone and the blood worms i only do 1 square

when i do the flakes i feed enough i dont think its much usually its all gone and the blood worms i only do 1 square
OK, I'm going to suggest you change to New Life Spectrum Community Tank food and quit everything else. Actually for a little while it should be the NLS Thera + A, then after your water is well under control the switch to the NLS Community.
The rotting blood worms will raise your ammonia. Then don't feed more than once a day and only what they can finish in 30 seconds.
You won't find anything better, your fish will thank you for it.
Fish will eat and eat and eat until they pop. But that creates a lot of fish poop (ammonia). You have to be the one to say enough, your fish wont

alright i will give that a shot i can see now from reading around that i probably have been over feeding

thanks for the advice

It's really easy to over feed. You want the best for the fish. I know this as I have done it many times.

well i got another one for you guys while we wait and see how the water changes

one of my platys that i got like 4 months ago seemed to have gotten really fat. At first i thought she was prego her stomach got reall white and huge but this platy was the only one out of 10+fish. i put her in one of those breeder containers that stay with in the tank. i did this like 2 month ago but now she is getting back to normal.

ive heard of fish some how consuming the unborn babies with in if they do not feel it is ok to have the fry. Not sure how true this is but what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom