Fish Shipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenLouise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! Just a quick question. I have a fish shipment coming tomorrow in an insulated box. Will my fish be ok till I get home that evening, around 5ish? I live in Northern California. I'm requesting the box be left in the shade. Thank you!

What kind of fish, how long will they have been in transit and how are they packed?

A ranchu goldfish and it's been shipped out today and arriving tomorrow. Coming from Southern California traveling up to Northern California. Packed in an insulated box with an ice pack.

Most sellers only offer live arrival guarantees for 2 hours after delivery and we can tell what time the packages are delivered.So if the fish arrives at say noon you will be too late to get guarantee possibly after 5 if something happened during shipping?
Next what is shady at drop off time may not stay shady till 5 ?
If the temp outside is reasonable and the fish is properly packed [most important] it should be fine.I ship 2-3 day from NY to HI without issue so if not super hot out I would not worry.

I wound never trust a delivery person to ensure the safety of a fish. I call my postal office and ask them to hold the package. Most likely it will sit on a desk in an air conditioned office until you retrieve it. Better than a porch in direct sunlight;) heck.. they've had a box of love fish for 4 days.. fish were fine.

OK, I'll ask....what are "love fish"?
Errr.. this is my 4th replacement phone (guess the brand). It's awful, every time the auto correct is not only erased but flooded with all the horrible data collected from all the young and crazy kids with their wild words. It's live fish, insists on correcting live to love.. they were lovely fish though...

It's live fish, insists on correcting live to love.. they were lovely fish though...

I actually googled it. I thought maybe it was some kind of marine fish :)

Back to the OP, how did it go? Did the fish arrive OK?

Thank you all! Sorry for the delay in response. Here's the update: the delivery person did indeed leave the box in the shade (it's shaded all day underneath an overhang) and I had a family member come by about an hour after delivery and place the box inside my house. The little ranchu is doing just fine. Thank you all for the wonderful input and advice!

I wound never trust a delivery person to ensure the safety of a fish. I call my postal office and ask them to hold the package. Most likely it will sit on a desk in an air conditioned office until you retrieve it. Better than a porch in direct sunlight;) heck.. they've had a box of love fish for 4 days.. fish were fine.

I actually googled it. I thought maybe it was some kind of marine fish :)

Back to the OP, how did it go? Did the fish arrive OK?

Most sellers only offer live arrival guarantees for 2 hours after delivery and we can tell what time the packages are delivered.So if the fish arrives at say noon you will be too late to get guarantee possibly after 5 if something happened during shipping?
Next what is shady at drop off time may not stay shady till 5 ?
If the temp outside is reasonable and the fish is properly packed [most important] it should be fine.I ship 2-3 day from NY to HI without issue so if not super hot out I would not worry.

Thank you all! Sorry for the delay in response. Here's the update: the delivery person did indeed leave the box in the shade (it's shaded all day underneath an overhang) and I had a family member come by about an hour after delivery and place the box inside my house. The little ranchu is doing just fine. Thank you all for the wonderful input and advice!

Back
Top Bottom