Fish similar to goldfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I was just wondering if there was an alternative to goldfish since the only fish that i like really are goldfish! I've always loved them and I wondered if there was a smaller version of a goldfish that I could keep! I kept a goldfish in a 6.6 gal/25l until I realised that that was way too small for a common goldfish so I donated it to my local fish store! After that I kept a betta in that tank but I got him when he was about 3 years old so he died a year later unfortunately! Now I'm missing keeping a fish, I really like goldfish and not fancy goldfish and I wondered if there was a fish similar to goldfish that only got to about 6cm?? Thanks! By the way I have seen good coldwater fish like wcmms and barbs and platys but they're just not like goldfish!
Thanks again

try paradise fish.... they can survive in very low temperatures, and like bettas; they can breath air from the surface of the water. they are often sold along side goldfish, and sport amazing coloration. but unlike the bettas, two males can be kept together without an issue.

try paradise fish.... they can survive in very low temperatures, and like bettas; they can breath air from the surface of the water. they are often sold along side goldfish, and sport amazing coloration. but unlike the bettas, two males can be kept together without an issue.

And also get to large for a 6g and are more aggressive then most Bettas.

I would look up killifish and microtetras, espically flames. Other then that, no fish come to mind the resembles a goldfish but stays small

All I can think of that are similar to goldfish are rosy or gold barbs. Interesting question. I've selected on appearance, ignoring tank size, water temp and schooling preference, etc.

Kohaku swordtails look a lot like comet goldfish. They are tropical and need at least 15 gallons, and they jump. My husband wants them but refuses to put a lid on the tank.

All I can think of that are similar to goldfish are rosy or gold barbs. Interesting question. I've selected on appearance, ignoring tank size, water temp and schooling preference, etc.

I was going to suggest gold barbs, myself. They're about the right size (2-2.5 in.), are of a similar shape to goldfish (both being cyprinidae), but they need a minimum 20-long tank, I'd think.

6g tank ?
Consider getting Shrimp. Not at all like goldfish but really cool for small tanks.
Red Cherry Shrimp are pretty easy.

IMG_0749.jpgIMG_0248.jpgIMG_0178.jpg

Mine are in my 10g Shrimp jungle
IMG_0126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom