Fish social problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgcali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acquired 3 tiger barbs and 7 cherry barbs.
They are in a 20 gallon long tank with a few decorations.

One of the tiger barbs is extremely agressive and attacks the other fish.
He is in solitary confinement right now.

So this is one idea I have had to solve the agression problem.
It involes putting the TIGER BARBS in a 50 gallon hexagon tank with : 7 golden tetra, 5 rasbora, 5 bloodfin tetra, 1 dalmation molly, 1 rainbow boesemani, 1 turquoise rainbow, and 2 angel fish, and 5 LAMPEYE TETRA.

The five lampeye tetra would be put into the 20 gallon tank.

Do you think a bigger (50 GAL) tank with better hiding places and more fish would solve the agression problem among the TIGER BARBS?
Right now, I have the agressive fish in solitary confinement in the 20 gal so its manageable but once the BARBS get into the 50 Ill never be able to catch them and stop the aggressive fish from killing the other.

I think just get rid of the tiger barb. Because if hes not going to co operate in the other tank then he isnt in the big tank. Is there a problem with the lampeyes? Or do you just want to move them into that tank?

Hey!

No the lamp eyes are really nice. I would be moving them because there is a lot of tetras in the 50 gal. To change the look of the tank, make things more diverse. On that note, does anyone know if lamp eye tetras would be good tank mates with tiger barbs (in general, not the hyperaggressive individuals)

Hey, from the behavior I can see the tiger goes for the other tigers. I think that fish is wired aggressively - even is solitary he is darting around and attacking the walls.

Cherry barbs would be a better look for the 50 gal, instead of the lamp eyes. I agree with you they are definately big enough to stand up to the calmer tigers.

Relentless, so much another tiger died from stress. Im suggesting it is the stress he causes by threating to nip more than the nipping itself.

You should take it back.

If you get tigers you should have at least 5 in a group. I know 3 will work...as i have 3 in my 5 gal... but i got them when they were very small and schooled together.

Hey!
Yeah I think giving the aggressive barb away would be the best solution.

Max - I got the fish for free from someone who moved out of town, so
I cant really do that.

Do not put the tigers in with the angels. The angels will have no fins in no time. If you plan on keeping the tigers keep them in the smaller tank.

Back
Top Bottom