Fish space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has to be adult size I feel no matter what you use. I use it as a guide but I'm adjusting on the fly for differant fish types. So strictly speaking it doesn't work just as is.

Regardless, you are still going to need water changes for a number of reasons. For reference on the amount of plant material this is an old picture of my tank. It is now WAY more overgrown than this. I still have nitrate issues with my tank.

wvbeMtq.jpg

Plants aren't going to pull all of the nitrate out of the water. This is going to be especially true if you aren't actively dosing fertilizers in the water. Assuming that you do a very very minimal amount of stocking, then sure it can help keep nitrates under control however nitrates are far from the only thing that we change our water for. You are still going to need regular tank maintenance.

Also, looking at the video I am 100% convinced that he is not an aquarist seriously looking at setting up a balanced system. His choice of water conditioner alone tips you off on that. The conditioner coupled with a fish load that would require a 60 gallon tank under normal stocking guidelines not counting the fact that those are likely common goldfish which will need a MUCH larger tank. When researching aquarium topics you really need to take the source into consideration and this is a prime example of that. So in short, don't expect miracles.

The lack of balance is because in aquaponics, you need a equal volume of grow beds to the volume of water in your tank, all fully planted. So a 10 gallon tank needs 10+ gallons of grow bed to avoid the constant water changes to reduce the nitrates.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I purchased this system of Craig's list about a month ago. It's winter and I haven't built my green house, so it's in pieces right now. It has a70 gallon tank for fish and 50 gallons of grow media on top. The guy grew a couple of feeder goldies up in it. I didn't get the grow light, otherwise I would have my indoor system setup by now.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392467612200.jpg
    1392467612200.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom