Fish stocking cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bass2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my tank on the 15th (5 days ago). For right now it's fish less and cycling. But Tuesday I was going to make my way to the pet store to buy fish to start the fish cycle. My levels have been the same the past 2 days. I was planning on having Zebra Danios has my cycle fish, I will be stocking those when my tank is done. What will be my main goal of levels (pH, high pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) I was planning on picking a time that works best for me, and doing a water change at that time everyday (checking the water of course before the change) will I be doing everything right?
Thanks for your help!

The way I told this is the way that my friend has told me. So I am just clarifying things before I do something wrong. It wasn't explained well enough to me. Meaning questions weren't fully answered.

So you are wanting to do a fish-in cycle for sure? Nothing wrong with that as long as you make sure to keep the levels good. Ok, first off, how big is your tank? Second, what makes zebra danios appealing to you? They're kinda demonic lol but as long as you have the swimming space and you house them with fish that don't mind the crazy fast little devils, there's no problem.

paytertot said:
So you are wanting to do a fish-in cycle for sure? Nothing wrong with that as long as you make sure to keep the levels good. Ok, first off, how big is your tank? Second, what makes zebra danios appealing to you? They're kinda demonic lol but as long as you have the swimming space and you house them with fish that don't mind the crazy fast little devils, there's no problem.

They are peaceful fish, look cool, and I was planning on having Cory's and other peaceful. I have a 10 gallon, they were recommended by my friend. I wouldn't get the same number for my stock as when I do a cycle. I would take some out and give them to a friend or just keep the ones that don't die off. (hopefully none do) I just did a water test on my tank levels are:
pH 7.6
High pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I do this with a API freshwater master kit.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but zebra danios need the horizontal swimming space of a 20 gallon long tank, so those won't work. Danios are very fast and active swimmers and that can bother a lot of other kinds of fish, and is also why they need the long tank.

Basically those levels reflect your tap water since there's nothing in the tank. Which is good, those are good numbers for tap.

paytertot said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but zebra danios need the horizontal swimming space of a 20 gallon long tank, so those won't work. Danios are very fast and active swimmers and that can bother a lot of other kinds of fish, and is also why they need the long tank.

Basically those levels reflect your tap water since there's nothing in the tank. Which is good, those are good numbers for tap.

I had used water conditioner when i first put the water in. Aquaeon conditioner. So there is something other then tap in there, but if I was going to go through a fish less cycle, please tell me what I'd have to do, I am a bit low on cash and wouldn't want to throw money on fish that might die, if you can tell me briefly

Bass2013 said:
I had used water conditioner when i first put the water in. Aquaeon conditioner. So there is something other then tap in there, but if I was going to go through a fish less cycle, please tell me what I'd have to do, I am a bit low on cash and wouldn't want to throw money on fish that might die, if you can tell me briefly

Theres a sticky on the getting started page where u can fin info on how to do a fish less cycle.

The water conditioner won't do anything but possibly make a little more ammonia show up. So those are still good numbers.

In a fishless cycle, you add an ammonia source other than live fish (most everyone uses ACE brand janatorial ammonia). You dose this up to 4ppm and just allow the beneficial bacteria to build up and convert the ammo into nitrites. (You keep dosing ammonia to 4ppm whenever it gets below 1ppm). Then the nitrites will start being converted into nitrates as another set of bacteria builds up. Nitrates are removed during your regular water changes.
With a fishless cycle, you don't have to do water changes every day and there is no potential for harming fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Read that article, it covers the topic in depth

Can I just add really small amounts of fish food to start the ammonia? That's all I have at the moment I really don't want to make the trip to the store to buy ammonia, unless I has too. I have read that fish food will start the process. And if I can do that I'll do it right now. I have fish food, food that came with the tank that I won't need.

Yea you can do that to start it but its really difficult to pull off an entire cycle with just fish food because you don't know how much ammonia that will take. If you really don't want to buy the ammonia (which I recommend), then you can toss a piece of cocktail shrimp in some panty hose and let it decay in your tank. That will cause ammonia and you can remove the shrimp when its almost to 4ppm. Then let it lower to just under 1ppm and repeat.

I could always ask my parent if we have ammonia in the house, I never know with my house. I will add some fish food now to kick start it, and then if we don't I'll ask if my dad can go buy me some again unless we have some laying around the house. How much of the pure ammonia will I have to add for my 10 gallon? Just enough to get it close to 4. And how many times will I have to do this in order to get it completely ready?

It has to be pure ammonia though, there can't be anything else in it. So make sure you check the ingredients. If it makes suds when you shake the bottle, its not pure ammonia.
As for how much to add, there's a calculator online somewhere, I don't have the link tho. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: ok here it is
http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
That has a lot of different calculators but the ammonia one is at the bottom. You just put in the size of your tank, what ppm you want to dose to (4ppm), and what percent the ammonia you're using is. If you use the ACE brand, its 10%. So for your tank you would need to add 1.51ml to reach 4ppm.

Ok, well I found a way that works best for me, I had looked ahead at my school and sports and I won't be home a whole lot to check and change waters, and all that, so I put some fish food into a cut up sock and stuck it into my tank, the fish food will decay and create the ammonia I am looking for. I will check the levels as much as I can before bed or before school, thanks for the help guys! If this way doesn't work well enough I will go out and buy ammonia seeing as how we don't have any. I asked.

After putting in a little bit of fish food last night my ammonia had gone up from .25 to .50. So I'm hoping this works as well. It might take longer but that's ok, gives me more time to plan my stock and make sure i don't mix the wrong fish and put fish in that will be good for my tank.

Buy seachem stability 3 danios and in 7 days you'll be cycled. Btw zebras do fine in a 10 as long as you don't have much more fish

Brox said:
Buy seachem stability 3 danios and in 7 days you'll be cycled. Btw zebras do fine in a 10 as long as you don't have much more fish

Actually I don't think adding fish and bacteria will cycle your tank in a week. It's best to leave out fish like danio anyway since they would probably create a lot of bioload being in groups of 6's and all...

Also I'm pretty sure they'd get too active for a 10 gallon

It cycled my tank. I've seen glow lights in a 10 and 3 will be ok for a 10 not 6

Brox said:
It cycled my tank. I've seen glow lights in a 10 and 3 will be ok for a 10 not 6

Glowlights need a school of five. Zebra danios need a school of five. And they both need a 20 long.

Its all good I got pure ammonia :) tank is starting its cycle off pretty well!! Excited to start stock :)

Back
Top Bottom