Fish Stuck In Oscars Mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocco Sieffridi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have my 55 stocked with 3 oscars ( 3-4 " ), 2 jacks ( 1 1/2" ) and 2 convicts ( 1-1 1/2 " ),+ plecost. Well, down to 1 convict as I woke up this morning and there is an oscar with a convict lodged in his mouth. Never though he'd try that as the convict never looked like it'd fit to me! Anyhow, I pulled the oscar out and gently tried to remove the convict and either it's still alive ( it's natural defense of raising the fins are being applied ) or the way it needs to be extracted is causing the fins to come up. Don't see him swallowing the convict anytime soon. He's a goner, isn't he?

Must be too difficult to discern?
sounds simple. The convict is a goner for sure. The Oscar will probably not have to be fed for a little while. The Oscar shouldn't have a problem digesting?? I don't know that there is much you can do. I feel for ya, Those fish seem compatable to me and never would have guessed the oscar would have ate the convict then again it is oscars were talking about they are some bad mofo's Just curios did you pick up the Oscar with your hands to try and pull the convict out. I would think that may have caused some stress for the oscar more so than letting it chow down.

Tried extracting the fish while the Oscar was in the net. Either way, the convict is wedged in his mouth and isn't going anywhere.

Tried extracting the fish while the Oscar was in the net. Either way, the convict is wedged in his mouth and isn't going anywhere.
How is the Oscar reacting to the whole situation is he acting fine or is he acting sluggish?? How much of the convict is sticking out of the oscars mouth? is it more than 50% digested?

At this point in time I would go ahead and clip the dorsal and pectoral fins so the animal can be dislodged (try tipping the oscar downward so the fish falls out and doesn't slide inward). It may take some skill, but possible if you can get a thin scissors in.

For sure the convict is a goner, the oscar might be as well. Oscars are natural predetors and even if the fish won't fit, they sure as heck are going to try to make it. There was a really disturbing thread elsewhere that I will look for that had an oscar get a pleco stuck in it's mouth, unfortunatly even with vetranarian surgery, he lost both of the fish.

It was on a brazilian board so I don't think many would be able to read it so here are some links to pictures that the guy posted.

http://www.viverde.com.br/imagens/P1030512.jpg

http://www.viverde.com.br/imagens/P1030520.jpg

http://www.viverde.com.br/imagens/P1030531.JPG

Thanks for the posts. Especially the images of the Oscar eating the Pleco. And you have got to be kidding me? He had surgery performed on a fish? I mean, I like my fish to, but.......

Yeah, that was his 10 inch show oscar. Plus down in Brazil, they take fishkeeping very seriously and there are quite a few vet's that do surgeries for the larger fish such as Oscars and Koi.

Koi are one of the best subjects to perform surgeries on. If you know what you are doing, the fish has a very good chance of survival.

Here's a not so good update. The convict has passed into the stomach, I believe. However, the oscar's mouth/jaws are fixed in the open position. He has yet to close them. Alas, I don't believe this is a good sign.....

The jaws probably just locked because of having to extend its mouth for so long. Being that this animal can be handled, you can try gently (do not apply pressure) massaging the sides of the jaw in hopes that tension will be released.

Any updates? I'd love to see a pic.

If it were my fish, I'd sort of be mad at him/her. I find myself thinking "stupid oscar! You deserve it for being so **** dumb and aggressive." It's not your fault at all.

Once, a while back, I tried introducing a female texas cichlid (a friend was breaking down her tank) to a male. She was way too small and I shouldn't have even tried it, but I gave her lots of hiding places in caves so I figured it might work until they get acquanted. Anyway, he took some chunks out of her, so I removed her and she died a day later. I am still upset with myself for doing this.

This though, is not your fault. How is it going?

Yes there is matter of fact! Everything is back to normal. His jaws were locked. He looks the same as when I first put him in. Eating just fine as well. Appreciate all the help once again!

Wow, that is impressive. Thank goodness. At least you only lost one fish, (and you can't say it was a total waste). Expensive fish food though eh?

Survival of the fatest.

What a fatty.

Ah, these things happen. I imagine it happens in the wild as well? Anyways, nice Texas. I had a few of those in the past. Some very aggressive and some just loners. My folks are from Canonsburg, btw. I miss that area.

Been reading this post for a few days now, I am glad to hear your Oscar is doing good! :)

Reminds of when I had oscars, mine were a lot more docile though. We feed them feeder fish (which I have since learned may not have been the best idea nutrition and health wise. . .) Anyway, my tank had a problem when we first introduced the oscar to the tank. Our managuense picked on him even though the oscar was much larger. . .

Side question (and I can move this to a different thread if that'd be more appropriate): Does anyone have any experience with managuense? My family had to keep ours in its own tank because it killed anything that moved and would bite fingers if given half a chance. . .

I have had them before and love the fish. I had them with a green terror, a jack dempsey, and a red terror. All got along for a while but had to be split up. And it was the jaguar who took over the tank. Besides a Dovii, they are the most aggressive fish I have had.

Back
Top Bottom