Fish suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for a new fish for our 30gallon high. Current stock:
3x albino cory
4x cherry barb
5x zebra danios
1x dwarf gourami
1x German ram

We want to add one more fish with color. My husband wants another ram but that puts us @ 100% stocked per aqua advisor.

Any suggestions?

You could add another ram but be sure to get the opposite sex of what you have now. You do not want to have 2 male rams in that size tank. As for your stock I don't feel your overstocked at all. Remember that site can be used as a guideline but it's not completely accurate in the least.

I didn't really feel overstocked at all. I don't know if Ironman is a male or female? I would like to add another & maybe a school of 6-8 neons for another pop of blue & red.

This is him.

Attachments

• image-2441161919.jpg
    image-2441161919.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 73
I would personally increase the corie population they are amazing cleaners and you will need when you get more fish , you could add a school of tetras of about 5 or 6 I wouldn't say neons cause there of the smaller size and can get scared and stressed you can do any o the following
Black Phantom tetra
Serape tetra
Lemmon tetra
Flame tetra
Bounis Aries tetra

Other than that I won't record any new fish you could add one or two more cherry barbs for a bigger school
I like many different spices or shimp and snail you can look up
Good luck
Freahwater_King

We've tried 4 cories on 3 different occasions the fourth one never makes it. So apparently 3 is the number for us. I want 2 more cherry barbs but the lfs always has females here lately no males. I have ghost shrimp & 2 merited snails as well.

Neon or cardinal tetras are perfectly fine! Black Phantom tetra, Serape tetra, Buenos Aires tetras are all known to be nippy and I can attest to that and need a nice sized school so aggression stays within the species.

About the ram... does it have pink on it? Is the tail concave or rounded? I swear that picture looks like a Bolivian from what I can see.

He's more yellow red & blue. No pink that I can see. He has like an electric blue mustache &side burns. We just left an old school lfs, this lady has been around since the 60s & saw her tetras, they don't carry Lemmon which I was hoping to see. All she had were X-rays, lamp eye, blood fins, & skirts. She had one beautiful diamond tetra. I'm going to see what petsupermarket gets in next week.

On different note she sold me a bunch of cabomba since I was telling her I wanted to attempt a planted tank, anyone familiar with it? She pulled it out one if her koi ponds.

Since I can't see it well my guess is you have a male. Most females unless very small have pinkish bellies and sometimes are hard to find.

I have a school of 30 cardinal tetras and the school is quite stunning. Diamond tetra's are really nice but can get pretty darn big as adults, just so you know. Lemon's are another good tetra, along with Emperor tetra's when you can find them.

As for the Cabomba it's not a hard plant to keep but what type lighting do you have on your tank?

Good! Nothing special with the lighting right now. I was thinking about picking up the aquarium bulb from Walmart. I don't leave my light on but maybe 2-3 hours as this tank is 2 feet from a set of double windows. It gets plenty of natural light during the day.

Do get a suitable plant bulb but also I suggest running your light 6 hours even with the natural light. One other thing, when you can pick up a bottle of Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and dose once a week after WC's.

Thank you! Maybe this won't be as overwhelming as I am expecting. She had a bottle of leaf zone but I didn't really know anything about the plant itself. I'll go get the flourish in a little bit & the light as I'm cleaning up & getting ready to do a water change in a little bit.

Also be sure you plant each stem individually and not in a bunch. You can plant them so each stems leaves almost touch the leaves of the stems around them. One thing tho is if you have stock light it's most likely quite low light so I would only suggest getting anubia's, java ferns, bolbitus, and crypts. Other plants may or may not have enough light to grow properly. The crypts may or may not do well depending on if they get enough light.

Already done! I read your posts about stem plants in the plant forums. Some of them are pretty high so the lady said I could just pinch them off & plant them. She told me to put them in bunches but I didn't like that @ all. I'll post a before & afters when I get done.

It's complete but I'm not happy with it yet. The temple decoration will be replaced with a piece of driftwood. I'll be scouting the perfect piece tomorrow, but the Buddha will stay. Probably not in the same place. If this survives I may try some java moss if I can get my hands on any locally for the driftwood. Everyone seems to be digging the plants though. That's a good sign, right? Lol.

Ignore the tv glare in the tank.

Attachments

• image-2699589195.jpg
    image-2699589195.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3193813644.jpg
    image-3193813644.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom