Fish Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt N

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, it's been a long time since I was last on, partly because I restarted my computer, lost the favourite tab and couldn't remember the name of the fourm. :king:

Anyway, I've found you again now.

When I was last here I was cycling my newly done old tank, getting ready for some fish. I'm pretty indecicive, and didn't know what type of fish I wanted in the tank. I went to my LFS, just to have a look around, and get an idea again of the price of certain breeds.

While I was there there were two old golden gouramis, with a hunchback (either that or they had an genetic disorder). Anyway, I ended up leaving with them costing 50p each. My plan was to keep them, while I decided on the type of fish I wanted. I still haven't decied on the type of fish, and the gouramis have passed away now (one in September, and one last month).

I've rearranged the tank to another layout now, got a few more plants, two new lighting tubes, and some aquatic wood.

Still have no idea on the fish though. I had Guppies and Platties a few years ago, it was great having babies swimming around, felt it a real accomplishment, but I'm not sure if I want them again.

I was thinking Tetra's, or maybe Cichlids, they have nice rustic fins.

Any ideas? What would you reccomend for a 30G, well planted tank?

My water, from the last test I did come out as;

Ammonia - Less than 0.1 mg/L
Nitrite - Less than 0.1 mg/L
Nitrate - 75mg/L - Not sure why its spiked like this.
8.5pH - Slightly Alkaline, although since the test, I've added wood, so it may have droped.

I'm doing a water change tonight, I'll see what the water is like again then.

Matt.

Hello, it doesn't seem as though your tank is completely done cycling yet. In order to add fish, Ammonia needs to be totally at zero, same with Nitrite, and Nitrates under 20. Before doing a PWC I would just wait until the rest of your Ammonia and Nitrites convert. Then you can start doing huge water changes to bring the Nitrates down. (I suspect it won't take long at all- your almost there!)

Anyway, did you add the Gold Gouramis to your cycling 30 gallon?? If so, that was most likely the cause of their death.

As for suggestions, I would stay away from any of the larger Cichlids of course, but Blue Rams and such should be fine, though.

It really depends on whether you want a Community style tank or a Semi-Aggressive setup. Also, do you prefer a lot of little fish, or fewer larger fish? Knowing this is helpful when trying to offer specific fish suggestions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Hi, thanks for the reply. Surely it must have cycled by now? I've had the tank and filter running for 18 months.

I might need a more precise testing kit. The lowest it will measure the Ammonia is "Less than 0.1mg/L", same with the Nitrite, it won't measure any lower than "Less than 0.1mg/L".

The Golden Gouramis were added 12 weeks after switching the tank on. They've lived happily (I think), for a year. When I bought them my LFS made it clear that they were old fish, handed in from other people shutting their tank down, which was why I got them both for £1.

The Blue Ram Cichlids look nice, almost marine like.

Community Style or Semi-Aggressive? I'm after four peppered cory catfish, would that rule out other Semi-Aggressive fish, or would the catfish learn to hide?

I'd prefer little fish, ones which don't like to munch too much on the plants.

Maybe ones which are easy to breed, but don't over breed, like Guppies, Platties, Molly's etc.

I'll try to upload a photo of the tank, to get an idea of the layout.

The rams would be a good choice. They stay small, leave the plants alone, (which is uncommon for cichlids.) and have an awesome breeding relationship with each other. They breed and if the water is right they will breed often though. They are community fish and do better with another "dither" fish. (ie tetras or cories.)

Look at kribensis and festivum, those are two fish that caught my eye after I already bought my rams. Just be wary if you do get the rams, they are very tricky and need really pristine water.

Just beware with cichlids they destroy plants and I don't want you to lose your plants that you have.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. The Rams look like a good choice if they don't mind Tetra's or Cories.

I've just done a 40% water change to try and lower the Nitrates. Although our tap water contains 60mg/L of Nitrates. Nitrites and Ammonia both show as "Less then 0.1mg/L", and the pH is 7 in our tap water. I'll do a test tomorrow morning when the tank has warmed and settled.

I've got Nitrasafe, like a giant tea bag which goes in the filter, but its saturated at the moment so need to recharge it in a salt bath. With that in the filter it gets the Nitrates down to 30mg/L.

Hmm, does you test kit happen to be strips? If so, I would advise getting a liquid test kit because strips are very inaccurate and give you false readings. I would recommend getting the API master test kit.

If you do get German blue rams, Like said, they breed pretty often which means aggression to other fish that come in their territory. So just make sure to have at least a fry tank if you do decide to get a pair.

For tankmates, you could do a school of 6-8 neon tetra (or cardinal) , 6-8 cory catfish, and a single bristlenose pleco.

Tyler

Hi, thanks for the reply. Surely it must have cycled by now? I've had the tank and filter running for 18 months.

I might need a more precise testing kit. The lowest it will measure the Ammonia is "Less than 0.1mg/L", same with the Nitrite, it won't measure any lower than "Less than 0.1mg/L".

Haha, I'm sorry I misunderstood. You're right, the tank would definitely be cycled after over a year. It must be your test kit then, because Ammonia and Nitrite would be at zero. I suggest that you pick up some liquid testing tubes the next time you're at the store, they are more accurate than strips.

The Golden Gouramis were added 12 weeks after switching the tank on. They've lived happily (I think), for a year. When I bought them my LFS made it clear that they were old fish, handed in from other people shutting their tank down, which was why I got them both for £1.

Oh, again, some miscommunication. In that case, the cause of death would be of old age, not from the tank I thought was cycling.

The Blue Ram Cichlids look nice, almost marine like.

Community Style or Semi-Aggressive? I'm after four peppered cory catfish, would that rule out other Semi-Aggressive fish, or would the catfish learn to hide?

I agree, Blue Rams are very nice looking. As mentioned previously, Rams are not as agressive as other Cichlids and would be okay with some Tetras. Also should leave the Peppered Cories alone. Healthy Cories are fast little buggers and should have no problem if there is any tention with the Rams.

I'd prefer little fish, ones which don't like to munch too much on the plants.

Maybe ones which are easy to breed, but don't over breed, like Guppies, Platties, Molly's etc.

I'll try to upload a photo of the tank, to get an idea of the layout.

I think a great suggestion for you are Orange Von Rio Flame Tetras.
--First off, they are really nice looking fish. Many times they are overlooked in the pet store because they're full colors are not shown. However, when settled down in a healthy tank setup these fish have brilliant bright orange/yellow coloring and red fins. I really love mine, they're gorgeous.
--Also, they are very hardy and grow up to be strong, sturdy fish that won't be bullied by the Ram.
--The orange coloring would look great against the Blue Rams.
--Finally, they don't breed rapidly like Guppies or other livebearers, but they are capable of breeding in the tank without any special needs. They are egg layers though, so if you're interested in raising the fry you would need to carefully remove the eggs so that they are not eaten.
Here is a picture, I think you will really enjoy this fish. When I got mine, they had kind of bland coloring, but within a few days they had really colored up nicely. Now it's been a month or so and they are beautiful.
pPETS-6963472dt.jpg

That's what mine look like, except all of their fins are red.

I hope I was able to provide some good suggestions, sounds like it is going to come out really nice :D

From what I understood your last fish died about a month ago and your tank has been empty of fish since then, if that is the case have you been adding ammonia like you would during a fishless cycle? if not then chances are most if not all of your bacteria starved (they can only go 2-3days without food) and you need to cycle your tank again (I would do fishless cycling). The 0.1ppm could be due to the inaccuracy of the test strips (as tyspot mentioned)

Regarding the stocking, I know you said you wanted cichlids, but take a look at boesemani rainbows. They are very colorful and make great center pieces (I wish I could get some)

Hmm, does you test kit happen to be strips? If so, I would advise getting a liquid test kit because strips are very inaccurate and give you false readings. I would recommend getting the API master test kit.

Hi, I'm currently using Interpet Easy Test, uses tablets, rather than liquid or strips.

This is it here;

Interpet Easy Test Master Tablet Test Kit

I've looked at the API kits, did you mean something like this? Seems very good value for money, with 800 tests.

Api Freshwater Master Test Kit - £ 23.59 - Test Kits - API - Chemist Direct

and a single bristlenose pleco.

If I'm honest, I'm terrified of pleco's. I was given one around 5 years ago, it grew to 15", demolised a well planted tank and knocked everything over. He had to go to my LFS in the end, only thing left standing was a large rock in the tank. Although the Bristlenose pleco grows to ~2"?, so I might consider.

Mandy, those Orange Flame Tetra's look great! Same sort of shape as the Black Widow Tetra. I'll have a look into those.

Ximena, I've not been adding ammonia, but I do have alot of Snails, which come out of the sand at night (leave little alien trails over the sand). These would be a minimal source of ammonia, wouldn't they? I'll also have a look at those boesemani rainbows.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll have a good read about all those breeds tomorrow. I'll take a water test with the Interpet Tablet again, see what it says.

I'm off to my LFS tomorrow, because my Fluval 405 has sprung a leak on the water flow regulator lever. Not a big deal at the moment, it only leaks when the lever is raised i.e. when the water is stopped.

Thanks again for the suggestions, must get some sleep now. Night!

Hi, I'm currently using Interpet Easy Test, uses tablets, rather than liquid or strips.

This is it here;

Interpet Easy Test Master Tablet Test Kit

I've looked at the API kits, did you mean something like this? Seems very good value for money, with 800 tests.

Api Freshwater Master Test Kit - £ 23.59 - Test Kits - API - Chemist Direct

If I'm honest, I'm terrified of pleco's. I was given one around 5 years ago, it grew to 15", demolised a well planted tank and knocked everything over. He had to go to my LFS in the end, only thing left standing was a large rock in the tank. Although the Bristlenose pleco grows to ~2"?, so I might consider.

Those Tablets looks interesting! Im not very familiar with tablet testing kits, so wait for more in put on that. ;)

You possibly got a common pleco, They have been known to grow 18-24 inches and move things in the tank that they want it.

Bristlenose plecos get 4-5 inches and are great algae eaters. I have one in my 30 gallon planted and it has done great for 3 months now :)

Tyler

The snails will add some ammonia but not much, just stock very slowly and watch out for a mini-cycle.

+1 on bristlenose plecos, I have 2 in a moderately planted tank and they leave the plants alone, they do need driftwood though, even if it only a small piece. The albino BNs only get to 3-4'' so if you want an even smaller pleco that's the way to go. The male have bristles, the females usually do not but you can't tell when they are young.

I've done a water test this morning, after a water change, and adding Interpet Fresh Start, Flora Boost, Filter Aid, and Liquid CO2 last night. Readings are now;

Total Ammonia - 0mg/L
Nitrite - 0.3mg/L
Nitrate - 40mg/L
pH - 8

I've added King British Safe Water this morning after the reading to lower the Nitrites. I'll do another Nitrite test tonight.

I went to my LFS today, the prices almost made me cry. £3.50 for a Guppy, £2.75 for a Neon Tetra! I'd need to take out insurance on them at that price. I'll have to have a look at a non chain fish store, independent ones should be cheaper.

I was going to get 4 Peppered Cories at the weekend, but I think I've entered a mini cycle now.

Done a water test this morning, the following came out;

Total Ammonia - 0.2mg/L
Nitrite - 2.75mg/L
Nitrate - 40mg/L
pH - 8

When you mentioned feeding the bacteria, I put a measure of Interpet Trizyme in the water. Since then the Nitrite has been rising. Do I leave the tank during a mini cycle? There's no fish in there so I guess there's no need for me to intervene, I just need to wait for the bacteria to multiply, so it will sort it self out.

Back
Top Bottom