Fish Suggestions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 40 gallon breeder (planted) with the following fish:

2 x Bolivian Rams
2 x Keyhole Cichlids
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Spotted Cories
1 x Angel Fish

And I am looking for something else. I'm not a big fan of tetras or rasboras though. I thought about 2 gold rams or maybe 3 praecox rainbowfish but I am not sure. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

That sounds like a pretty good list already maybe up the amount of cories to 8?

Smaller Rainbows or Killies would be a great addition and will occupy the upper level of the water column. Some Endlers or another type of micro livebearers would also be a nice addition like H. formosa "gold".

I might go with a slightly larger schooler, if only because of the angel snacking on the smaller guys. A nice school of rummynose tetras would look good.

Whoops, just read you're not looking for tetras. Will think of other things instead! ;)

So I have a 40 gallon breeder (planted) with the following fish:

2 x Bolivian Rams
2 x Keyhole Cichlids
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
5 x Spotted Cories
1 x Angel Fish

And I am looking for something else. I'm not a big fan of tetras or rasboras though. I thought about 2 gold rams or maybe 3 praecox rainbowfish but I am not sure. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't go with the gold rams. You already have a very busy bottom with the bolivians and keyholes.

You probably want some colour in there. It's made for Congo tetras really, they would be perfect but their beauty is more related to shape and finnage rather than colour (unless you get a lot of natural light in there which brings out the blues and yellows). I've not owned Rainbows myself but i would consider 4 red rainbow and 4 boesman to complete that tank. Other ideas would be a selection of swordtails, platies and zebra danios (i.e. maybe 3-4 swordtails and half a dozen zebras).

I love the angel way to much to remove him haha.

I am looking for more color though, so I think the platy or swordtail suggestion is good.

I really like the idea of Congo tetras but I am worried that if I go with them I will need to add about 5 and that might be too much for my tank

Smaller Rainbows or Killies would be a great addition and will occupy the upper level of the water column. Some Endlers or another type of micro livebearers would also be a nice addition like H. formosa "gold".

No, those fish would not be a good idea with angel. Don't get anything that is smaller then 2" with an angel.

Now that I have bumped it haha. I would say you are stocked, maybe add a couple more cory cats. A single gourami would work, pearl, snakeskin, opaline, gold, any of the full sized ones would work. Also rainbows would work too.

Don't be silly, I'm just trying to help. Cant cry over spilt milk. This is a forum for fish keeping, not complaint about others comments haha.

Don't be silly, I'm just trying to help. Cant cry over spilt milk. This is a forum for fish keeping, not complaint about others comments haha.

You're the one who called me out on a reply to the thread with out bothering to read the one practically right underneath it where I point out I was wrong in my previous reply. However you don't even bother to point out the terrible suggestion someone made about adding a 3-4" tetra to a 36" tank.

Sorry if you felt "called out". It's not a personal attack, it's just something I wanted to clear it up before it gained any steam or made someone do something that might not work. I do not disagree with the congos suggestion, I think 4 or 5 congos would be fine. Relax, don't get so worked up over someone conflicting your suggestion. But you are right, I should have fished reading the thread, but I just read your post and hit the quote option. We are all here to help one another.

Sorry if you felt "called out". It's not a personal attack, it's just something I wanted to clear it up before it gained any steam or made someone do something that might not work. I do not disagree with the congos suggestion, I think 4 or 5 congos would be fine. Relax, don't get so worked up over someone conflicting your suggestion. But you are right, I should have fished reading the thread, but I just read your post and hit the quote option. We are all here to help one another.

People get so excited when they can "correct" someone they don't bother to read to see of the issue has already be covered/corrected.The one thing I do not do is give bad advice, if I overlook something that will not work in a set up I correct myself which I did. I have no problem when admitting I'm wrong which is rare on this forum.

Anyway back on topic, It is my opinion that if you plan to keep the angel then I would just call that tank stocked. If you were to upgrade to a 55+ gallon then I would add a group of medium sized rainbows or maybe some kind of platy, since you are not to fond of tetras.

I love the angel way to much to remove him haha.

I am looking for more color though, so I think the platy or swordtail suggestion is good.

I really like the idea of Congo tetras but I am worried that if I go with them I will need to add about 5 and that might be too much for my tank

Personally, i wouldn't hesitate in adding 5 congos and 3 swords to what you have now, but that would be enough.

Thanks for the help, I really like the suggestions. Swords, Congo tetras, or possibly a gourami all sound like good options.

Back
Top Bottom