Fish swimming up and down glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 10 gallon has been cycling for about a week and a half with 2 harlequin rasporas, 2 pygmy cories, and some hornwort. Both of the harlequins, and 1 of the pygmies are running up and down the glass all the time, but stopping to eat if I put food in. The other cory is acting normal. Why do you think they are doing this, and why not the one cory?

My harlequin rasboras do the exact same thing. I am thinking about adding a few more to my school. They are energetic little guys and that might be in their nature. However, once your tank is completely cycled I would definitely add more harlequin rasboras. They like to be in groups of at least 6 if possible, another 2-3 would still make a huge difference to improve their well being.

My panda cories swim up and down and along the glass of my tanks and even against the current of my filter outlet majority of their time, and they shoal together on the substrate and decors when scavenging for food.

I think what Dale suggested is a good option. You don't yet have proper schools for them, so maybe they are trying to school with their reflections. I don't know about the lone cory, it could just be his personality, or he may not be thrilled about the cycle. Another option is just that you have active fish and thats just where they choose to swim. Just ideas, but who knows?

My albino corys did that all the time when I first got them. Now they still occasionally do laps around the tank near the top.

It could be normal as others said. Since the tank is cycling though just keep an eye on your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and keep them as low as possible. Toxin levels in the water can cause fish to act weird if they are being burned (the link in my signature, new tank with fish, will help you through the process if you haven't already seen it).

That said, I have 5 Panda Corys who always run up and down the glass. I also have 10 Celestial Pearl Danio and sometimes a few of the CPDs will run up and down the glass with the Pandas.

Back
Top Bottom