Fish tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyshortee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently upgraded to a 5 gallon tank, so far only have a Betta in there but she's been a round a few years and seems to be close to the end. I'm just looking for ideas of other fish, not Betta to put in the tank. At one time I had zebra danios and Mickey Mouse platty, I've been considering getting more. How many would fit?

Here is a pic of my tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394629651.527481.jpg

None zebra danios need a 20L, and platies need a 20 gallon tank as well, or at least a 10 gallon. You could do shrimp though.

I've had zebra danios and platties in a smaller tank than that and they did just fine. I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank but this one is only like a year or two old.

Platies and danios need a much larger tank than a 5 gallon. A betta would defnitely be your best choice. Have you thought about doing live plants? A betta, some snails, shrimp, and live plants would make for a beautiful and interesting tank.

Welcome to AA!

I've had zebra danios and platties in a smaller tank than that and they did just fine. I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank but this one is only like a year or two old.

I'm guessing you haven't seen a platy at adult size (a lot of people haven't; you don't see them that large at pet stores normally). They really are not suitable for a 5 gallon tank. Zebra danios are far too active to be kept in a 5 gallon tank for the long term. Both of these species have lifespans of several years. Surviving for a little while in a tank that is too small does not necessarily mean that the fish were "fine".

You could always go with another betta, or, alternatively, a pair or trio of sparkling gouramis. Ember tetras are a colorful addition and will stay small (and inactive) enough to live in a 5 gallon. Celestial pearl danios, species in the genus Boraras, etc. are also good options but can be difficult to find.

No, I don't know how big a lot of fish get, I'm still kind of new to having an aquarium, that's why I'm posting here for advice. I know 5 gallons is small but for now it's what I have. I'd like to upgrade to a 10 gallon but I still live with my parents and I don't know if my mom will let me. So until then I'm trying to figure out what I can put in my 5 gallon that will do well.

So far I've been told that African Dwarf Frogs, Sparkling Gourami, Shrimp, neon tetras, white cloud mountain minnows, and guppies could all be possible choices. I'd like to have more than one fish in my tank so i'm trying to figure out what combination I could keep. Would African Dwarf frogs and ghost shrimp go together, I still need to do research on all these but I thought i'd ask here as well.

The fish tank in my picture <<< over there is he tank i'm talking about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom