Fish tank locks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 2 yr old just got caught playing in the fish tank for the first time. Does anyone know of a good lock that I could use to keep the kids out of it? There's got to be something that will work!

i dont think there are any locks on the market but im sure you can make like a latch or something.

There are child locks that are made for ovens and toilets that may not be pretty, but they stick onto the surface, and it they stick to porcelain they should stick to glass. You may need more than two to secure the front and back of your hood (depending on the hood).

The ideal solution would be to elevate the tank so that your little one can't get to the lid, and make sure that the stand is tip-proof. How did the kid get to the top of the tank? Is it on a low table that the child climbs onto?

Another possible solution (inspiration just struck) would be to get some nylon webbing and buckles from an outdoor supply place or hardware store, and run them under the tank and over the hood. That way you could readily unclip them to access the tank, but you should be able to cinch them down tightly enough to deny access to the little one. Running it up the sides rather than fornt/back may be less secure, but would interfere less visually.

Hope this helps

little people learn fast. and imitate. they'll learn how to undo it im pretty sure over time

Danny 1: Stephen 0
Nice try!! :D

It's too late for me to come with any ideas of my own. I'll think about this. You may also want to inquire in the DYI section!

I was just going to ask the same question. :)

My 9 month old is just learning to stand, so I have a few months before he can get in trouble with the fish tank (hopefully).

My criteria:
1) solution must be simple and quickly removed so feeding the fish doesn't becoming a 15 minute ordeal of just opening the lid
2) solution must not be unsightly or interfere with the view of the tank - the tank is in my living room
3) any solution the includes modding the hood must include non-reactive materials - can't have any nuts and bolts rusting

So far the only thing I can think of, is making/buying one of those wooden canopies that goes over the current hood and making modifications to that. I've never really looked too closely at a canopy so I'm not sure if it's even possible. I would think making mods to wood would be easier than plastic, it would look nice and probably a simple locking mechanism would do. This is one of those situations that I wished I had carpenter skills.

do you have glass tops (ie: AGA tops)? If so, you could remove the plastic handles, which does make them harder to open, but not impossible.

you could just put weights on it. reinforce it and put weights on it. im 13 and i still only can lift like 100 lbs maybe more. and think. 100/13. thats like 8 lbs.

Um... but if the weights roll or fall off, baby get's wanged. Not a good idea. Plus dense/heavy objects around glass are just disasters waiting to happen...

Jon: 1, Danny: 0

Bringing it back for the family! (Poikilotherm and I are brothers)

no i meant like on the wood hood the other guy was talking about put like little indentations in the wood to let them settle on them. then strap them down.

:). do the scores keep going down?

also you could duct tape it down :).

you could also get a baby moniter thingy and put it by your tank and you cal hear it open.
(probally wont work)

this is my most delicate/best thing yet. get him a rabbit, gerbil, mouse, guinea pig to take his mind off the tank.

oh and this ones good too lock the door. :)

oh and if there isnt a lock on the door get one :).

you can open it with a paper clip. straighten it out. try and poke it as close to the center of the hole as possible. apply strenth behind door. hold in. pull down door nob and voila.

thats the kind of locks we have on our doors.

ooh heres another one. put it in like a tv case with a glass opening so you can see your fish. get one with a lock (the kind to keep the kids from watching tv). and you can openen it with a key.

also. since (s)hes only like 9 months (is it?) get a baby cage thingy. not really a cage its like keeps them away from dangerous things. the ones with the padding and high net walls.

lol my head tired. i thought too hard 8P

Okay the official score is the B-brothers 2: Danny 1. Thanks for playing!!!
I would put a wooden hood/canopy on the tank. Attach the hardware for a padlock and use a cute lock on it. Add a treasure chest to the tank and you will have a great conversation piece :D

My aunt used some cabinet locks that would probably work here. They stuc on the inside of the cabinet door, and locked it shut. To open it, you had to stick a special magnet against the outside of the cupboard, in the right spot, and it would unlock the latch inside. Not sure where you could find it, but it might be worth looking into.

-J

Rock and roll! Go Stephen and Jon. Not fair to double up on Krap101, but...

Oh, and Happy Birthday (yesterday) to Stephen!

Back
Top Bottom