Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish tank - no fish, cycled, filter turned off

Hey everyone,

I have a fish tank that had fish in the tank over the past 17 months, but for the past 9 months have only been using it as a breeding tank.
Currently i have no fish in the tank, but the water is cleaned and the unit is cycled.

What do people recommend as water changes for such a unit (130litre) that is not holding any fish at the moment and the filter is switched off.

Should i have the water filter running, or can i just do prolonged water changes. Will the good bacteria die if i dont have the water filter running, and will thw water fet toxic if i choose to do water changes every few months ?

Thanking you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The bacteria will die if the filter isn't running, it will also die without an ammonia source. I reccomend either adding 10% janitorial strength ammonia weekly or putting 2 raw shrimp in. When the shrimp are gone add 2 more; with the ammonia add 10ml each week to keep a healthy bb colony.

In terms of water changes of you have no fish, shrimp, or snails they ate not necessary. However before you add any fish, shrimp, or snails be sure to do a 100% water change to remove any nitrates.
If you like to plan ahead you can not add the ammonia or remove the shrimp a few days before the 100% wc, and then a few days after that add the stock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great, thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
cycle, cycled, filter, fish, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com