Fish Tank Oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is an oxygen bubbler necessary?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it necessary to have one of those oxygen bubblers in your fish tank? What does it do? Do you need it to renew the oxygen in your tank or something, or is it good enough to just have your filter and heater? I also only use dechlorinator when I change my water, am I supposed to be putting other things in the water before I add it to my tank? Someone let me know, thanks! :lol:

No, you just need some sort of surface agitation. If your fish arn't gulping near the surface you should be fine.

You shouldn't need any other chemicals besides dechlor. How big/what is your tank?

Hi Yao and welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

When you say oxygen bubbler, do you mean an airstone? No, an airstone or bubble wall is not necessary. Your filter should do a good job of moving/aerating the water. What kind of filter do you have?

Also keep in mind that warmer water holds less oxygen. This usually is not a concern unless you have the heater turned up to treat ich. At normal aquarium temperatures of about 78 degrees, the oxygen saturation is fine.

Welcome to AA, yao! :smilecolros:

As already mentioned, an airstone/bubbler isn't necessary so long as your filter output is disturbing the water surface.

However, an airpump, some tubing, and a small airstone is a good thing to have on hand just in case your filter ever quits. That way, you can keep the water surface moving, thereby keeping the water well oxygenated, until you can repair the filter.

Also, some people like bubblewalls for their looks/sounds, and some fish love to play in the stream of bubbles. But, like the color of your gravel, the choice is up to you. :wink:

Welcome to AA :invasion: !

If you want to have some live plants though, the bubbles and resulting surface agitation will remove CO2 from your water that the plants need to grow.

QTOFFER mentioned it would be a good idea to keep it off hand if your filter goes out.. but its also a good thing to have on hand if your heater malfunctions and your tank gets too hot (and the fish begin to suffocate)

Ive used my airpump/airstone a decent amount of times for various reasons- great to have on hand

ooh i didnt know that the airstone could deprive my plants of c02. i have to HOB filters they dont create many bubble but move the surface a fair bit would this create enough oxygen for my fish?

Tiffi is correct that too much surface agitation will remove CO2.
But it only really matters if you have alot of light (over 3 WPG) and are dosing the tank with CO2. :mrgreen:

Depending on the type and how dense the planting is, your plants will release oxygen. Now, whether or not it's enough for your bio-load, I can't say. I currently use 2 HOB's on my planted tank; 2.5+ WPG, CO2 injection, medium planted. I keep the water level up to the water return to reduce splashing. My fish are happy as ever and CO2 is at about 25ppm. It's all about finding the balance in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom