Fish tank too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

navarrosarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I need some advice on what to do with my fish tanks. I have 7 tanks running altogether mostly tropicals but one is goldfish. It is getting to about 105 every day here now in central california and is expected to hit 112 soon. I don't have an AC, only a swamp cooler. I keep my tank heaters on 78 degrees, but now with this heat, all my tanks are around 82 degrees. I am worried about all of them, but mostly the gold fish, the tanks are not in the same room as the swamp cooler. Is 82 too hot for my tropical fish which includes: various plecos, tinfoil barbs, tiger barbs, various tetras, zebra danios, guppies, platies, and corydoras? And will the goldfish be okay at these high temps? Any suggestions?

You can also freeze water bottles or ziplock bags full of water and float them on the top of the tanks. This is what I have to do in the summer. I live in central Florida and have some tanks upstairs that get to 84+ so I use/rotate frozen bags and that helps slowly lower the temp and keeps it lowered. Good luck staying cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can also freeze water bottles or ziplock bags full of water and float them on the top of the tanks. This is what I have to do in the summer. I live in central Florida and have some tanks upstairs that get to 84+ so I use/rotate frozen bags and that helps slowly lower the temp and keeps it lowered. Good luck staying cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I did that for 2 weeks and it was a nightmare. My tanks had hit in the 90s for temp. I couldnt have anything but frozen 2 liters in my freezer

I keep a chiller on my planted tank to maintain 73 degrees. I was able to keep it stable at 77 using a fan to increase the rate of evaporation. I wouldn't worry about 82, it's not too bad for fish. Just hurts plants haha

I don't have any plants. All the fish look okay so far, but I'm still worried about them. Especially the goldies, but they don't seem to be showing any signs of stress yet. This heat is only gonna get worse from here for the rest of the summer. I guess I shall hope for the best.

Hi all, I need some advice on what to do with my fish tanks. I have 7 tanks running altogether mostly tropicals but one is goldfish. It is getting to about 105 every day here now in central california and is expected to hit 112 soon. I don't have an AC, only a swamp cooler. I keep my tank heaters on 78 degrees, but now with this heat, all my tanks are around 82 degrees. I am worried about all of them, but mostly the gold fish, the tanks are not in the same room as the swamp cooler. Is 82 too hot for my tropical fish which includes: various plecos, tinfoil barbs, tiger barbs, various tetras, zebra danios, guppies, platies, and corydoras? And will the goldfish be okay at these high temps? Any suggestions?

I have similar problems. Although I don't know that this is the best/only advice, I was told the best way to keep the tanks from getting too hot is to control the temperature of the room. I have the ac on more than I normally would because we have dogs, so that helps, but yeah, a swamp cooler, that's tough. I don't know what kind of lids you have, if any, but sometimes just opening up the lids on my tanks and putting on a good fan will help. Oh, also, turning off the tank lights. Not sure how much that helps but it makes me feel better, lol. Is there some sort of small portable or window ac unit you could get? Good luck. Let me know if you find a really good solution.
Wendy

https://youtu.be/n5s8Cu59-NM

DIY chiller. Simple to do. He noted a 5°C difference in 50 gallons of water flowing at 200gph over a 12 hour period. Slower flow rate means water would spend more time passing through the mini fridge, thus cooling even more.

Jesse

You must have a old not working properly swamp cooler, I lived in Arizona for years and that's all we had even on newer houses and the temps were fine in the upper 60's and low 70's...

If it were me I would just unplug the heaters all together.. I have found that whatever your ambient temperature is heaters I don't care how accurate they are.. will actually warm the water 2-4f higher then what you set them at..

So like if its 80f in my bedroom and my fish tank heaters are set to 82f, my fish tanks are usually always at 84-86f.. But if the room temps drop to like 74f, and the heaters are still at 82f.. the fish tank is more around 80-82f which is the setting I had them at..

Am I making sense ? And as for your tank temps at 82f I wouldn't even worry about that.. I keep all my tanks at 80-82f and my discus tank at 84-86f... And I have all kinds of species in that tank, Gold barbs, neons/cardinals, glow light tetras, gold killifish, cories, snails... And none of them have issues. My plants are also fine at 84-86f

Back
Top Bottom