Fish terrified of me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whenever I walk into the room they all dart to a corner. If I go over and look at that corner they all go to the other corner... But when I leave for 5 minutes and then watch them from around the corner, they're as happy as can be. Why do my fish hate me?

How long have you had the fish, what size is the tank, and do you have plants?

Are you walking heavily up to the tank? Try walking a little more gently the next time. They feel the vibrations from the floor moving and probably are getting stressed out. They don't hate you, they're just getting used to their new home.

Are you walking heavily up to the tank? Try walking a little more gently the next time. They feel the vibrations from the floor moving and probably are getting stressed out. They don't hate you, they're just getting used to their new home.

That's probably why. I've always wanted fish that would beg for food... I give them plenty of treats

Also if they are in a sparsely decorated tank they can also feel alittle insecure when newly added. Move softly and slowly and they will soon learn humans equal possible goodies!

Agreed. Walk softly to the tank, and give them time. Adding plants and/o rmore decor in the form of hiding places will also make them feel more secure. They will learn to associate you with food and goodies in time :)

Sillyfishies said:
I've always wanted fish that would beg for food... I give them plenty of treats

Haha. Give them some time... If all mine don't come up for food right away I stick my finger in and move it around a little under the water. It was something I remember my grandfather doing some 20 plus years ago in his tanks and I just kept doing it for years. Now they all associate fingers splashing with food and literally swarm all over your hand.

Rivercats makes a good point though. Be sure to provide them with plenty of cover and give it some more time.

It took my cichlids 3-4 weeks before they started letting me feed them without swimming underneath rocks/driftwood or corners.

In addition to all the great advise. Start spending some time in front of the tank watching your fish. 15 mins or so. When they learn you are not a threat. They will be just as curious of you, as you are of them. ;-)

In addition to all the great advise. Start spending some time in front of the tank watching your fish. 15 mins or so. When they learn you are not a threat. They will be just as curious of you, as you are of them. ;-)

^^YES!!! I spend at least 30 minutes a night in front of my tanks. I only tell myself it's for a few minutes but it always ends up being longer.'hide' The smaller of my 2 Bolivian rams always comes to see me. Even my kuhli loaches know/recognize me. My mom and brother think I'm off my rocker when I tell them 'that my fish know me.'

^^YES!!! I spend at least 30 minutes a night in front of my tanks. I only tell myself it's for a few minutes but it always ends up being longer.'hide' The smaller of my 2 Bolivian rams always comes to see me. Even my kuhli loaches know/recognize me. My mom and brother think I'm off my rocker when I tell them 'that my fish know me.'

Lol! Then I'm totally off my rocker cus I think the same thing!

I spend hours just watching my tanks! And actually?, because my pellets don't drop by themselves I have to reach my fingers in and splash them all down.

I spend hours just watching my tanks! And actually?, because my pellets don't drop by themselves I have to reach my fingers in and splash them all down.

I have to to the same with my shrimp pellets. I learned to add them in the outflow of my filter. My fish then dart around the tank to eat them.

I have to to the same with my shrimp pellets. I learned to add them in the outflow of my filter. My fish then dart around the tank to eat them.

Ur from Omaha Nebraska right? I am.

Anyway, because my rosy barbs eat everything before it comes to the ground, I put some in up front then sneak some back in the outflow so the rams get some!

Back
Top Bottom