Fish that are fun to watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you reccomend for fish that are fun to watch? I want some that are playful and active. I just started my 29g stocking today with 6 neons, so I've got quite a bit of room to work with. Any ideas? There is a Petsmart and a few good LFS near me.

A group of Clown loaches are excellent fun imo, but will probably get too big for a 29 gal. (3 is the minimum that you can really have)

I really love my bettas, both male and female. My brig snails are a hoot as well. I like my dwarf bristlenose pleco, he is all over the place. My clown pleco is almost always near the heater so I only see his tail. Goldfish have quite the personality as well. Dwarf grouamis and my 4 gold severums are quite the characters. Playing invisible tug of war. Phantom demon drop and tag. Even my husband laughs at them.
Really I think any fish you pay attention to, you will learn his/her disposition and enjoy it. So find something you like the look of, that will fit your tank and lifestyle, and just enjoy your new finned friends.

Mollies are fun, especially since they're always ready to greet you with the line "FOOD?! FOOD! FOOD FOOD FOOD!"

My betta fish are just as playful and active ^^

Tiger barbs are colorful and very active. The only drawback is that they're nippy and might limit your stocking choices later on (no slow, long-finned tankmates like gouramis, bettas, or angels). You also need to get at least six so that they will keep their nippiness amongst themselves.

Any tetra is active if you have a big group of them (6 - 12)

Corys are my favorite choice for bottomdweller - a group of 3 to 6 is best.

Cory's are fun. If you want active you've got to do with danios. They don't know the meaning of sitting still and are next to impossible to kill. I did more than enough things that should've killed them when I started out. Usually because of bad advice or my own ignorance.

hulkamaniac said:
They don't know the meaning of sitting still and are next to impossible to kill.

Yeah but if you watch them TOO long you get dizzy and wonder why they aren't 8O lol

Puriti said:
hulkamaniac said:
They don't know the meaning of sitting still and are next to impossible to kill.

Yeah but if you watch them TOO long you get dizzy and wonder why they aren't 8O lol

Very true. If I moved that fast for that long I'd die of exhaustion after about 3 1/2 minutes.

zebra danios are really fun to watch, there like kids on a sugar rush lol, clown loaches are fun too, along with tiger barbs, bettas, snails, crabs, mollies, and even some plecos are cool to watch, I like gold nugget plecos for their coloring

Ok, so I guess Corys are on the list to get. Will they be enough of a "cleanup crew" for my tank if I get 3 of em? I have PFS for substrate, BTW. As for a pleco, I don't think I've ever seen one move. It seems like they're always hiding behind something and you can only see the tail.

Stretch said:
Ok, so I guess Corys are on the list to get. Will they be enough of a "cleanup crew" for my tank if I get 3 of em? I have PFS for substrate, BTW. As for a pleco, I don't think I've ever seen one move. It seems like they're always hiding behind something and you can only see the tail.

Get more than three. I have half a dozen and am considering getting more. In the wild they're found in groups of hundreds.

JRagg said:
A group of Clown loaches are excellent fun imo, but will probably get too big for a 29 gal. (3 is the minimum that you can really have)
Clown loaches should never under any circumstances be kept in a 29 gallon. However, yo-yo loaches are smaller and might work well. I understand their temperment is very similar to that of clowns.

I love watching otos.....whether flying around the tank or munching on some algae, they are always a good source of 'live' entertainment.

Stretch said:
Pinky, I like the ceramics in your tank. That looks really good.

thanks :D i really wanted them to have caves and thats all i had laying around at the time lol

Back
Top Bottom