Fish that can handle a bit more ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samdaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a mate who stocked a tank without cycling it( I wasn't involved) he now is being dumb and won't do a fish in cycle
So what fish are the toughest when it comes to ammonia he's losing a lot of fish

All fish will die from ammonia poisening.... Why doesn't he get rid if the fish and cycle the tank? Also - cant give you any suggestions because you didn't state tank size. Adding fish to a tank with ammonia present is a death sentence.

He can't just "choose" to not do a fish-in cycle. The fish are there and if he chooses not to pay attention to that and properly do water changes every day they'll die. Pretty much as simple as that.
He can change his mind and do a fishless cycle when they are all dead I guess.

Why don't you just give him some seeded biomedia from your tank? And tell him to start with a small number of fish and gradually build up?

Why don't you just give him some seeded biomedia from your tank? And tell him to start with a small number of fish and gradually build up?
He tried that he won't let me touch it I don't know what to do I hate seeing so many fish die

Tell your idiotic mate to get a little danio, chuck it in the ammonia poison bath and hope it survives. Also tell the fool to read articles, guides and forums like this on the internet so he knows what the nitrogen cycle is and how to start it. If he can't read I'm sure you can give him the basic idea. Good luck.

You tried. It's not your fault your friend likes to kill fish.
You'll just have to decide if, down the road when he complains that all his fish died and wonders what went wrong, you try again or just tell him "I told you so"
... I'm the vindictive type

He tried that he won't let me touch it I don't know what to do I hate seeing so many fish die

Can I ask what sort of fish he is losing? It doesn't sound great at all.

A question for the forum as I've always favored letting the bb develop. Could zeolite or some other ammonia absorbing resin keep the ammonia down enough to let the bb catch up? Could this save some fish in this situation?

Hardy Fish

Have a mate who stocked a tank without cycling it( I wasn't involved) he now is being dumb and won't do a fish in cycle
So what fish are the toughest when it comes to ammonia he's losing a lot of fish

Hello Sam...

Even traces of ammonia in the tank water will kill most aqaurium fish. The hardiest are female Guppies, Zebra Danios, Rasboras, White Clouds and Platys.

B

Get a bottle of seachem stability, when he's not looking dump a capful in his filter! Saves the day:)

It's basically lab made bacteria used to start tanks, I would never use it for that purpose but in your case I would def use it to save a tank.

If this is his attitude towards keeping fish then he is just throwing money away. He will give it up soon enough.

I have a friend just like yours, argghh, to say it annoys me is an understatment. i dont feel he has any respect for his fish and when or if i try to offer advice i hit a wall and get 'ive been keeping fish all my life!!!' he hasnt, his mum had a little goldfish bowl afew years ago, he must of forgotten ive known him since he was 15. It gets on my nerves so much that i never want to talk about fish with him.

Back
Top Bottom