Fish that school by its technical definition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
The term "schooling" seems to be used pretty loosely sometimes.

Fish that are actually schooling swim together in a coordinated direction. To me this is the most beautiful thing in the world and I would love to see this in my own fish tank.

Fish that are shoaling swim and hang out together, but do not swim in the coordinated movement of a school.

I would like to know if Zebra Danios school or do they just shoal?

And how about Neon Tetras?

If neither of these truly school, do you know of any small tropical fish that do school?

It depends. If you don't have anything big to keep them schooling, then they will just shoal. Zebra danios don't really school, there more of an untamed mess of living creatures that don't know what the word "stop" means. IME if you have neon tetras but nothing to keep them schooling, they'll just spread around the tank like it's nobody's business.

My zebra danios wonder around in the tank not really together. Once I put them in the tank they swam together for a little bit.

Danios, not so much. They will loosely swim as a group every now and then. But, they do get very comfortable and break up.

Really, the best way to get fish to tightly school is to have a slightly aggressive fish present (or so I have read). Like a gourami or angel or something.

I love the look of schools also, but I have failed to have my danios school at all. haha.

I have about 6 rummy nose tetras that school and yes due to the other more aggressive fish in my tank like gouramis and swordtails. My Danios look like they are playing some wild game of tag in my tank ALL day. such silly fish!

I would like to know if Zebra Danios school or do they just shoal?

And how about Neon Tetras?

If neither of these truly school, do you know of any small tropical fish that do school?

Rmmynoses are the closest I've seen to schooling. Zebra danios just play tag all day like they're high on caffeine. I wonder if they swim in their sleep?

My Harlequin Rasboras school spectacularly. The rams in the tank never bother them, but they are always together. Even if they are not in one giant group, they still work on the buddy system.

Yeah, technicly both the zebra danios and neon tetras are schoolers rather than shoalers, but not all the danios got that memo. I have seem them school together beautifully in some tanks though.
My rummies school brilliantly, but I have them with angels so that might influence their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom