Fish trap, easier way to catch fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon with a lot of plants and moss "trees". My molly had babies and I made a deal with the local pet store to take them. I managed to catch 16 of them with two nets but I tore my tank up. Knocked plants and trees everywhere. I got frustrated and left around 10 in the tank. I really need to catch them before they get much bigger or my tank will be overstocked. Any easier ways to do that. I tried feeding them and netting them as they came to the top of the tank but they soon got wise to that. I was wondering if I could set up some kind of trap for them. Something like fisherman use to catch minnows for bait. The regular traps would be way to big obviously. I tried a water bottle with some food in it. All I caught was lots of ghost shrimp. Those little boogers will fall for anything. LOL Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking of removing any more fry while they are really small into a holding tank with only a small amount of plants. That way I can catch them easier.

If you leave them in there till one swims to where you can net him, you might be able to catch more that way. I say just leave them there until they are big enough to catch better. won't do any harm to the tank.

4 things that I have found help:
1) remove any decor that you can
2) lower the water level
3) use a bigger net
4) try to catch them late at night after the lights have been off and the room has been dark for a few hours when they are "asleep" they will be a lot slower.

I use two nets... One big one small.. go really slow and scare the fish to your bigger net and corner them... Going slow is better then going fast

um i dont think you have to worry about anything because your ghost shrimps will soon eat the babies

My ghost shrimp have never eaten any of the babies. I have blue pearl shrimp that breed right along with the ghost shrimp and they never bother each other. This batch of molly babies started out big. The mother was a newly bought creamsicle molly and she had huge babies. However, even my dalmation molly babies were never bothered by the shrimp. I have ghost shrimp that are almost as big as my adult mollies and they never bother anybody. I will try waiting until they are asleep. I only have ten more to catch. They are around an inch and a half so they are big enough to go to the store. They have grown really fast. A lot faster than my other two mollies' fry. My tank has so much in it that it is hard to remove everything. I have three moss "trees" and several standing branches plus lots of plants. I really didn't think about having to catch fry. I am thinking about moving the next pregnant girl into a holding tank before she gives birth. I have several 10 gallon tanks I can use. Wish someone would give me another 29 g or bigger tank. LOL I have been lucky and gotten all my tanks for free from family. I have my eye on a 60 gallon tank that belongs to a niece-in-law. I am going to try all the suggestions. I tried the two net one but there is no room to maneuver in my tank.

Attachments

• 29gtank.jpg
    29gtank.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 92
Sorry this post made me laugh, I did the same thing wrangling up my guppies in my 20g.

Needless to say, cloudy water, water changed;D

★Try when they are asleep works for me.

It's okay to laugh. I did after the frustration got the better of me. LOL outsmarted by fish.:banghead:

When I had to catch my Molly's fry, I just used an airline tube and just siphoned them out into a bucket. This probably wont work if theyre too big though.

I actually thought about using a vacuum tube. Every time I clean the tank the fish swim up to the vacuum hose and I have to fight them off. I actually sucked one up about a month ago. I use an electric vacuum and have no idea how it made it through the impeller part. When I cleaned the little bag that everything goes into, it was in there. I put it back in the tank and it was fine. I have a large diameter tubing. I might just try that. Give the fish a wild ride into a bucket. LOL

Every time I clean the tank the fish swim up to the vacuum hose and I have to fight them off. I actually sucked one up about a month ago. Give the fish a wild ride into a bucket. LOL

One day I was cleaning my male bettas tank, and he got sucked up and stuck at the head part lol. I freaked out and ripped the hose out of the water to free him from suction.

Back
Top Bottom