Fish turning water green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TattdxMama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 33 gallon long tank with a 9" pleco last year. While in my care, he's grown to 9.5". The water quality in the 33 gallon became poor, always being green. I suspected either the fish (My friend had a fish who turned her tank green as well as her mothers when she gave it to her) or the fact I had neon green and black gravel. I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank with a better filter (Fluval AquaClear 70 vs the old Tetra Whisper) and white gravel. The green water quickly returned.
I have tried 3 different water clarity treatments, tested the water, etc. There's no indicators that there's anything wrong with the water according to the test strips, it's just green! None of the water treatments have worked, despite several treatments. I do regular water changes and tonight did a 3/4 tank water change and the water STILL has a green tint.
I do not want to get rid of this fish, he's absolutely awesome but there's other fish in the tank I need to worry about as well. Help?

You did not mention what kind of lighting is in use, how many hours of the day are they on, and if the tank is exposed to direct/indirect sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You did not mention what kind of lighting is in use, how many hours of the day are they on, and if the tank is exposed to direct/indirect sunlight.

I'm actually not 100% sure what type of lighting is in use, the bulbs came with the hood if that helps any?
The lights are on for about 10-12 hrs each day, I don't have it on a timer and usually turn it on when I wake up and turn it off when I get home from work. which varies in time.
Not exposed to any direct sunlight, possibly indirect but very little. It's about 5 feet away from a window that is covered with faux wood blinds, thick, prevent most light from entering. It would at most reach only one side of the tank though.
I have three other tanks and none of them have this problem, the water is crystal clear, I mean brilliant. They're on the same light cycle as this tank and always have been. 29 gallon, 20 gallon, and 15 gallon. The 15 gallon is actually in front of the window that may indirectly shine on the 55 gallon and still clear. I've only had the 55 gallon for about two months now so for it to be green already is kind of mind blowing.

I had a problem with green water in my reef tank at one point myself. Its a pita because its hard to get rid of.

I eventually went with a uv steriluzer which cleared it up in a matter of days. I found one on amazon for about $30 i believe it was either a sunsun or aquatop brand sterilizer. It doesnt matter which as both of those brands are the exact same products.

The pleco really should get rehomed as the tank is just too small.

As for the lighting cycle, 10-12 hours is a bit much, especially if you are not around to enjoy the tank. Get a timer and set it to come on in the AM for a few hours, then off for a few hours and back on in the evening while you are home.
Yeah, a 9" pleco will produce a large amount of waste for the volume it is in.

Back
Top Bottom