Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Fish versus a rooms ambient lighting...

My son wants his fish in his room....after laser discussions and the like i have thought hard about what fish see........

My son's room is a dantes nightmare of glow-in-dark and blacklight..
(the theme is space and it gets him to stay in to sleep..nothin says I have ta sleep there )
But since my glasses flourecse in there..what is that spectrum to fish?
Would the need a bird cage cover at night if indeed they go into his room?

I lazily haven't researched fish visible spectrum yet..see if someone here is more than a hobbyist and knows....

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
ps

Oh...PS If this helps
I do know that blacklight is UVA spectrum and well as a little Indigo ans violet visible.

(I was arguing hubster about bleaching t-shirts and socks when l checked it..most detergents have phospers that reflect UV, so when you are outside your whites look white. But they are in essence full of phosphers deposited by the degerent and are actually whiter than white. So still look ugly and dingy indoors so you still need to bleach whites with salt compounds or oxidants).

Old 03-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All that I know is that all but one fish (we know of) can only see to about 600nm wavelengths. I don't know what the shortest wavelength limit is (the number that you are actually looking for).
Old 03-03-2004, 03:00 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Actually I am wondering if fish are bothered greatly if the red spectrum is not available for a large portion of their night (shouldn't be ) and if the UV spectrum would keep the "awake" or disorient them (the real concerns)

Old 03-03-2004, 05:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Red = roughly 700nm. Fish don't have the ability to see red light for the most part.

There is one deep sea fish which can see red light and it has a red flourescing chemical to give it a red flashlight. Since other fish can't see red it is similar to nightvision giving it an advantage. As opposed to the angler fish which uses its bluish light source to attract prey.

Red wavelengths do not travel as well in water so most fish don't see red very well (if at all).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Well, least they won't "miss" red at night.

Now to find if an ambient UV at sporadic schedule at night will interefere with their rest cycle. Specialy when the Java and riccia arrive and is addedd to tank.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com