Fish waste = fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone grow any NON-submerged plants like standard house plants or small vegetable plants and use the water after cleaning your tank to keep it fertilized?

I was thinking that when I do my weekly gravel cleaning and water change I could pour off all but a few gallons of waste water and be careful to keep all of the waste matter in a bucket. Use that water to feed house plants everyday...and just add sunlight for succesful plant growing. Anyone do this or have any related helpful comments (never grew any plants other than helping my parents with their vegetable garden over 15 years ago).

I was thinking of doing this but I was woried of any odor this may cause. Has anyone had a problem with this? Also will this work with all types of plants?

Thanks

Taya

All plants love fertilizer, esp during the growing season. Unless your fish water smells, there should be no odor. :D

This works great, been doing it for years.

Just remeber, if you have used any chemicals (other than declorinator), don't use that water for the house plants. Don't know if I even need to say this, but no water from brackish, or even if you use a little aq salt.

In regards to smell, if you store a bucket of gunky water it may smell after a couple days, or it may not. I've never had a house plant get smelly from using tank water. I just use it straight out of the tank, never keep any around, there's always more if I want it!

I use a bucket and sump pump when I do water changes. During the summer I pump it right out to the yard. Turns the grass a real nice green.

All I put in my water is AquaSafe water conditioner and Stress Zyme. Is this OK to use on my plants then? And no it doesn't smell I just thought with it sitting in the soil it might start to. But than-you all for the info it does seem like a great idea I will have to start doing it.

I love the internet...thanks for the confirmation.

I have now acquired enough knowledge to grow something I've wanted to but my parents never did...Jalapenos! If it all works out well I'll let you guys know how "hot" fishy jalapenos are...

Back
Top Bottom