Fishes That Will Not Eat Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have Zebra Danios and Kuhli Loaches in my 40 gallon. It is not heavily planted. I only have a 3 Anubias in there with a driftwood.

I'm planning to add some Rummynose Tetras, Pearl Gourami, and Boesemani Rainbows later.

But before I do I want to know will these fishes eat red cherry shrimps? If they do can you recommend me another shrimp big enough not to be eaten?

Or recommend fishes similar to a Gourami or Boesemani Rainbows that can be the center piece of my aquarium and not cause harm to any dwarf shrimp or bigger shrimps?

Thanks

Most fish eat dwarf shrimp. Some will leave the adults alone, but nearly all of them will eat shrimplets. Heavily planting the tank helps.

The only fish I put in my shrimp breeding tanks is otocinclus and bn plecos. I think corys are fairly shrimp safe but I'm still testing that one out.

So even a bigger 2"-3" bamboo shrimp is not safe...This sucks.

I wanted shrimps in my new tank.

larger shrimp are much safer, but it can be a trial and error thing. Like I said, a lot of smaller fish don't bother adult size dwarf shrimp, but they will eat shrimplets, so if you aren't concerned with breeding then you can get away with quite a few different things. I suggest getting some cheap feeder ghost shrimp and see how they do, it'll give you an idea of what will and wont work.

If I have German Blue rams will they eat RCS and amanos?

I have to say I really don't know anything about the type of fish you have or are looking into. I can tell you that I have shrimp in with the following and have had no issues. Black skirted tetra, bleeding heart tetra, glass cats and scissor tail rasbora The dg is a new addition so he's in a tank with just 10 ghost shrimp to see what happens.

I'd skip the bosemani rainbows in a 40g tank unless it's a 40 long (4'). In a tank that isn't heavily planted, smaller shrimp will be eaten by any fish that can fit them in their mouth, tetras included. In a heavily planted tank, you'll never see them. I've given up trying to keep shrimp and fish together... unless you're keeping really small fish, shrimp will almost always lose... whether it's the adults, or the young shrimp.

I'd skip the bosemani rainbows in a 40g tank unless it's a 40 long (4'). In a tank that isn't heavily planted, smaller shrimp will be eaten by any fish that can fit them in their mouth, tetras included. In a heavily planted tank, you'll never see them. I've given up trying to keep shrimp and fish together... unless you're keeping really small fish, shrimp will almost always lose... whether it's the adults, or the young shrimp.
What about larger shrimp with regular sized fish? (2-4 inches)

I suppose it's possible, but they'll probably still try. Obviously, big shrimp won't be eaten like RCS, CRS, etc... but they will most likely still be harassed. I've got one RCS left in my 40b. My apistos slaughtered them. Once there were no apistos, my kerri tetras picked them off. The few that made it, minus the one survivor, were taken care of by my angels. The only fish I've been able to keep shrimp with are chili rasboras, probably because they're the only fish that were smaller, full grown, than the RCS.

oh what about like amanos or something? And will GBR get along with marbled crayfish?

Can you recomend a fish that is suitable as a center piece for the tank?

Thanks.

I keep bamboo shrimp in my 40g community without an issue. They are decently sized as far as shrimp go. I wouldn't recommend smaller shrimp for most communities though.
Yes, neons will eat cherry shrimp fry. I don't know of any fish that won't eat eat cherrry shrimp fry if given the chance.

I keep bamboo shrimp in my 40g community without an issue. They are decently sized as far as shrimp go. I wouldn't recommend smaller shrimp for most communities though.
Yes, neons will eat cherry shrimp fry. I don't know of any fish that won't eat eat cherrry shrimp fry if given the chance.
What is a bamboo shrimp? Is it compatable with German Blue Rams and marbled crayfish?

Yes, they are bigger, so the rams wont bother them, not sure bout the crayfish

oh what about like amanos or something? And will GBR get along with marbled crayfish?

Keeping a GBR with a cray is asking for trouble IMO.

Can you recomend a fish that is suitable as a center piece for the tank?

Thanks.

Any fish large enough to be a "centerpiece" in a 40 will likely eat shrimp. Any will eat shrimplets.

So will neon tetras eat cherry shrimp fry?

Just about any fish will if they have the opportunity. If it fits in their mouth, they'll eat it. With enough decor and plant cover, neons are fine to keep with RCS, but some shrimplets will be lost.

What is a bamboo shrimp? Is it compatable with German Blue Rams and marbled crayfish?

See above. The cray would most likely predate the shrimp when it molts as well.

Yes, they are bigger, so the rams wont bother them, not sure bout the crayfish

ok thanks. I really want shrimp lol

No shrimp will work in a tank with crays IMO. Not for long anyways.

Back
Top Bottom