Fishie bonding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a new female betta for my tank thinking she'd fit right in. SHe showed her submissive striping in the cup at the store so I figured my current girls would see and leave her alone. Boy was I wrong. They chased some but not enough for me to worry so I went to bed. In the morning the new girl was dead at the bottom, the brats must not have let her up for air. Anyway, the funny thing with my two brats is how they are so bonded. CC (blue dt) accidentally nipped Angel in all the commotion, immediately after she noticed who she bit she went from acting aggressive with her fins up to have her fins tucked in and giving this apologetic look. I laughed so hard because you'd swear the fish would have said "oops I didn't mean to bite you". I think when I set up a big female community I'm going to breed them and have all the females together from the time they're born. That way I don't have to worry about introducing a new fish to a tank with tightly bonded spoiled brats.

wow, that is pretty interesting. In the future I would suggest staying away from female bettas who are showing their stripes. Usually that is more to deal with stress and health conditions than it does with submission. Besides, a girl needs to be tough to break a click of two into a group of three! Femal bettas can be cruel (however, I was very successful with a trio). Depending on the size of the tank, you might want to try adding a couple of females at the same time to spread out the aggression.

Good thought adding more than one at one time. I feel like such a novice now. Next time I'll try two. I didn't think mine would be so cruel since those two got on so well from the start. Its too bad about this red girl though but I suppose shes out of her tiny jail at walmart now. It will be a while till the local fish store gets new female bettas because I guess they get them from Florida.
BTW, the fish's name is CC, its not an abbreviation for crushed coral, I just noticed that the dumb forum automatically changed it.

Back
Top Bottom