Fishies freaking out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had cories and serpae tetras now for a couple months and just have added some more fish today. The thing that is really bothering me is that whenever we walk near the tank, ALL the fish all swim to a back corner to hide. I hate to stress them out, but I'm not sure why they are so skittish. Today, we added red eye tetras. When you go near the tank, they freak so badly, they try to jump out of the tank and "thunk" their little heads against the glass top. I think it's stressing me out more than them! I don't want to hurt them, but at the same time, I have to get up and walk at some point!!! Any suggestions? I don't know if it's b/c they are new... I'm hoping they settle down. :(

do you have any decorations in there for them to hide? Plants and driftwood do well for this. Also, you could try 5 zebra danios to work as dither fish. These guys stay active and don't freak out so it makes the other fish feel like nothing is wrong.

By the way, how big is your tank??

The tank is 46 gallons... with about 8-10 plants (but not too tall or full just yet) and one big piece of driftwood. When they hide, they go to the most heavily planted corner. Actually, what you say is pretty much spot on, b/c it seems like one or two will quickly hide and cause a panic for all the others...

I would give them a little time. I am sure they will settle down. My red eyes are not nervous acting in ther least.

I really hope so... every time I hear that "thunk", I cringe. I think that being netted at the store, then the ride home, and then being in a new environment has to be pretty stressful, but I've never had a fish try to jump out before like this!!!

I would wait, certainly nothing in your tank that would bother them. Mine are in with Angels and they are fine, so at ease they don't even school.

rubysoho said:
. Also, you could try 5 zebra danios to work as dither fish. These guys stay active and don't freak out so it makes the other fish feel like nothing is wrong.
that's interesting.

can someone please list other DITHER fish ?

would angels be a good dither fish?
would gourami's be a good dither fish?

I would think angels and gouramis are center piece fish. Tetras,Rasboras, Danios, Corys would be dither fish.

gouramis are pretty shy so I wouldn't suggest it, and I don't know about angels. It might work since angels are known to be "in your face' asking for food instead of hiding.

Back
Top Bottom