Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I do a fish less cycle? Is it safe to do while I have plants and driftwood in it? Where can I get pure ammonia? What are the step by step ways to do this?

How do I do a fish less cycle? Is it safe to do while I have plants and driftwood in it? Where can I get pure ammonia? What are the step by step ways to do this?

To do a fishless cycle, you add an ammonia source instead of adding fish to create ammonia for the cycle. So, in a nutshell, you dose the tank to about 4 PPM of pure ammonia (I know the Ace Hardware brand is 100% pure) and wait until it is converted to nitrite, and then from nitrite to nitrate. The whole process can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks IME, but usually 3-4. When your system takes 4 PPM of ammonia and converts it to nitrate in 24 hours, then you're cycled.

You can have plants and driftwood in during the cycle. live plants might actually speed the cycle a bit.

This thread has everything you would ever need to know about fishless cycling. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I added my nutrafin cycle earlier today with out any ammonia. Has that bacteria died out by now?

I added my nutrafin cycle earlier today with out any ammonia. Has that bacteria died out by now?

It probably hasn't died by now, but those bacteria in a bottle products almost never work. Especially Cycle. I've heard good things about Dr Tims One and Only and Tetra Safestart.

I've read good reviews on it. Does it remove chlorine or do I need a separate chemical?

I've read good reviews on it. Does it remove chlorine or do I need a separate chemical?

It won't remove chlorine, you'll need a dechlorinator like Prime for that. Did you add the Cycle to a tank that has chlorine in it? If so, the bacteria in the bottle was probably killed by the chlorine.

I did. I'm sure it's dead. How long will I have to wait for the chlorine? Or how will I know when the chlorine or chlormines are gone?

Is this why my water is so alkaline? Can I still use this water or do I have to take it all out?

Is this why my water is so alkaline? Can I still use this water or do I have to take it all out?

You could probably still use it after you add dechlorinator. But you can't start the cycle with straight tap water.

Also, I suggest you acquire an API master freshwater test kit to test water parameters daily or hourly to know when or is your tank on track with cycling. I suggest you start over by refilling with new water, dechlorinate it, then add ammonia(100% pure), and test till nitrites are low and nitrates are around 1-3.

My API kit only allows me to put water in a tube and then it only tells me PH.

Then I suggest the API master kit

+1

You're going to need the API MASTER kit to properly test all parameters.

I also recommend Dr. Tims pure Ammonia for this cysling.

A word of caution from one who learned the hard way on my recent fishless cycle: when you being to get Nitrites, do not let this level get above about 2-3 PPM (which is hard to determine on the API Nitrite scale - it sucks). If your Nitrites get up into or above the 4 PPM level, the cycle will stall. My whole cycle took 6 weeks due to this. Once I understood what was happening, and kept my Nitrites around 2-3 PPM, the cycle was done in a week.

Good luck. I like the fishless cycle method, a lot.

CMOS

If you have another tank that is already cycled, you can put some filter media from the established tank in your new tank and it will speed the process up. When I know I'm going to be getting a new tank, I put a sponge filter in my established tank and leave it in there for about a month and when I set up the new tank, I stick that same sponge filter in there. It will drastically shorten the cycle time.

So, if I don't use cycle, how does the bacteria get in the tank? Through air?

So, if I don't use cycle, how does the bacteria get in the tank? Through air?

It's everywhere and it's already in the water. It just needs to multiply to get to the levels we need it to and for it to multiply, you need to add an ammonia source. Without ammonia, the bacteria won't multiply. If you just fill a tank with water, the bacteria won't multiply because there isn't a source of ammonia.

Pee in it a little.. The pwcs before fish go in make it harmless and it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom