Fishless cycle and unstable ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ph keeps bouncing within .2 of 7.8
Ph is generally 7.8/7.9
Even with the ph change...kh is still 9 and gh id still 15. My tank is currently cycling(i hope)

Is this normal or should i be worried or using easybalance?

That pH range should be fine. The bacteria that you're growing will change the pH a little bit. Don't add anything to your tank.

If you PH drops below 6.5 your cycle stalls out. The bacteria die when the PH drops to 6 or less. It is normal for PH to suddenly fall at the end of a cycle. You can add a pinch of baking soda to bring it up quickly if you have no fish in the tank. Add a pinch of baking soda, wait an hour or so, then check PH again. Keep doing that until your PH is back to where you want it. That will last for about a week. You can add crushed coral, limestone, eggshells, cuttlefish bone, or seashells to help balance the PH. If you do not want to use it as decor just add to a stocking and place in the filter or hang in front of the out flow of the filter.

If you PH drops below 6.5 your cycle stalls out. The bacteria die when the PH drops to 6 or less. It is normal for PH to suddenly fall at the end of a cycle. You can add a pinch of baking soda to bring it up quickly if you have no fish in the tank. Add a pinch of baking soda, wait an hour or so, then check PH again. Keep doing that until your PH is back to where you want it. That will last for about a week. You can add crushed coral, limestone, eggshells, cuttlefish bone, or seashells to help balance the PH. If you do not want to use it as decor just add to a stocking and place in the filter or hang in front of the out flow of the filter.

Really? My cycle completed with a PH of around 6. Where's that information from? quick cycle, too.

Azurelord, your PH swings are not big enough to get concerned with. Your water is buffered well enough that you should not see a huge drop.

1998Golfer, I am not sure the exact point where it fails but the tanks I have that have ph of ~5 never cycle.

Back
Top Bottom