Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fishless cycle gravel from cycled tank

I have a 5 gallon tank with a betta with fin rot. If i put some gravel fromthe betta to my other tank that i am cycleling would my new fishes get fin rot also?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Possibly ... but mostly fin rot is due to a stressed fish (such as poor water), and the bacteria responsible is found in all tanks, and normally don't cause problems. In that case, moving the gravel won't cause problems.

Also, if you are doing a fishless cycle, the bacteria will most likely die off during the process without a fish host.

So basically the risk is small if you transfer the gravel, but it won't be zero.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
Possibly ... but mostly fin rot is due to a stressed fish (such as poor water), and the bacteria responsible is found in all tanks, and normally don't cause problems. In that case, moving the gravel won't cause problems.

Also, if you are doing a fishless cycle, the bacteria will most likely die off during the process without a fish host.

So basically the risk is small if you transfer the gravel, but it won't be zero.
My betta tank actually has perfect parameters

Tags
cycle, cycled, fishless, fishless cycle, gravel, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com