fishless cycle gravel from cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon tank with a betta with fin rot. If i put some gravel fromthe betta to my other tank that i am cycleling would my new fishes get fin rot also?

Possibly ... but mostly fin rot is due to a stressed fish (such as poor water), and the bacteria responsible is found in all tanks, and normally don't cause problems. In that case, moving the gravel won't cause problems.

Also, if you are doing a fishless cycle, the bacteria will most likely die off during the process without a fish host.

So basically the risk is small if you transfer the gravel, but it won't be zero.

Possibly ... but mostly fin rot is due to a stressed fish (such as poor water), and the bacteria responsible is found in all tanks, and normally don't cause problems. In that case, moving the gravel won't cause problems.

Also, if you are doing a fishless cycle, the bacteria will most likely die off during the process without a fish host.

So basically the risk is small if you transfer the gravel, but it won't be zero.

My betta tank actually has perfect parameters

Back
Top Bottom