Fishless Cycle (New!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xRekani

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new here and would be considered a beginning of fish keeping. Of course, I had my share of fish over the years (mostly just bettas), however, that was before I really did my research.

Currently, I am on day 2 of my fishless cycle, so while I'm sitting her twiddling my thumbs waiting, I have been researching about what fish I would like to add to my tank, once it is done.

It is a 20 gallon high, and my PH is pretty high, like at 8.2

I was leaning on mollies, guppies, and cories, but not exactly sure how much is too much? :fish2::fish1:

I have an Aqueon Quietflow 30 as a filter.

I am up for suggestions, though! I know I have more than enough time to decide. I'm just excited (lol)

I will also probably use this post to update my journey on this cycle! :ROFLMAO:

Corys prefer to be in groups of at least 5 fish. Other than that, the only advice I can offer is to stock which ever live-bearers you choose lightly, because you'll probably start getting fry soon after stocking.

Corys prefer to be in groups of at least 5 fish. Other than that, the only advice I can offer is to stock which ever live-bearers you choose lightly, because you'll probably start getting fry soon after stocking.
I planned on like 3x Molly, 5x Guppies, 5x Cories, but is that over stocked? And, I'm not too worried about fry, the fish will eat them, correct?

I wouldn't consider that overstocked. I believe the adults, especially the mollies, will eat some of the fry, but probably not all. You may have to try to rehome any fry that doesn't get eaten eventually.

Some LFS may give you store credit for any fish you can bring them that they can re-sell. If you can find a LFS that will do that, you may be able to offset feed costs a bit.

That's a good idea. There are two places that are close to me, I will ask both of them if they will take any fry that manages to stay alive (sounds so morbid, but I won't have room for a bunch of new babies nor do I have any other tank set up right now )

Is it alright to have all males? I thought it was supposed to be 2 females for every male? I figured all females would be okay, but let's face it, males are so much prettier (at least with guppies)

I mean, I like the idea of all males, if I can. I just worry about aggression

With guppies there's generally a pecking order. Usually not a big issue. I as well as many keep all males. Your call.

Back
Top Bottom