Fishless Cycle Params - Please Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's readings 02-23-12:

AMMONIA - .25

NITRITES - 2.0

NITRATES - 10.0

PH: 8.0

TEMP: 80F

I dosed ammonia to 4.0 last night.... looks like another 4.0 dose tonight?

Do a large water change to get you oh back up then dose back up to 4. Random question but why don't you dose to 5 and what is your future stocking for the tank.

Water change when you have a chance & redose. Things are looking good- we just need those nitrites to drop a some more & you will be done! :)

Random question but why don't you dose to 5 and what is your future stocking for the tank.

I've always understood the ammonia should be held to 4.0 - I can not explain why, just what I've read during my research....

It's going to be all Male Peacock Cichlids....

Thanks for the advice!

I asked because if you dose to five IME experience you have more bb so you r less prone to spikes after the cycle is over and are able to stock more heavily right off the bat. Especially with a heavy stock like cichlids or goldfish

calfishguy said:
I asked because if you dose to five IME experience you have more bb so you r less prone to spikes after the cycle is over and are able to stock more heavily right off the bat. Especially with a heavy stock like cichlids or goldfish

That makes sense, this thing just seems to be killing ammonia at 4.0.

But if I dose higher ammonia might it result in a higher degree of ph loss?

Even though the tank will eventually be overstocked I will probably start of with 3-5 older juvies.

4ppm ammonia is more than sufficient to get you started. I do think your ph will be an bigger issue if you tried dosing higher amount of amm- you would probably start seeing crashes more frequently. As you increase your stock in the future, your bb will have time to adjust to the increasing bioload hopefully without an incident though it would be a good idea to watch your ph for drops as you increase your stock level- it may be something that needs to be addressed in the future if it becomes an issue. Enjoy your wine! :)

As you increase your stock in the future, your bb will have time to adjust to the increasing bioload hopefully without an incident though it would be a good idea to watch your ph for drops as you increase your stock level- it may be something that needs to be addressed in the future if it becomes an issue.

That's a good point, hopefully the ph will stablilze as the cycle concludes.

Yes, a water change & some more amm. We will have to watch this because it seems like its becoming a bit too common of an occurence. :)

LOL!!! Your cycle is just about there but you can always consider adding some crushed coral or argonite to your filter to help stabilize things as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom