Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Fishless cycle problems! Help!

So, tell me if I'm being impatient but, my ammonia hasn't dropped for over 3 weeks. I'm not sure what to do but I really want to put fish in there! Please help! How many weeks til the ammonia starts dropping???
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armymp327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 685
what is your ammonia at right now? are you saying that in 3 weeks your ammonia has not dropped at all? or is currently stalled?
__________________

__________________
armymp327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymp327 View Post
what is your ammonia at right now? are you saying that in 3 weeks your ammonia has not dropped at all? or is currently stalled?
It's above 4 I believe, probably at a 5 ish. It's kinda a blue/green. And correct, it hasn't dropping in 3 weeks, I read to put finely ground up fish food in there to kinda jump start it again to provide the phosphates and I did, it didn't do anything but collect on the bottom.
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
I did change some of the water today, about 8 gallons, I have a 55 gallon tank. It brought the tank down to 2. Should I dose it up to 3?
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armymp327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 685
i would leave it at 2 for now, you may have dosed too much not allowing the bacteria to grow, also what is your PH?
__________________
armymp327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymp327 View Post
i would leave it at 2 for now, you may have dosed too much not allowing the bacteria to grow, also what is your PH?
Oh ok, and I checked it along with my tap water and both are 7.8 I think, I checked it 2 says ago and I'm not at my house right now but I did check my ammonia and nitrates and trites today!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
diver4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 16
I am not an expert on this and am learning myself. I can tell you this, I increased my tank temp to 84 degrees. I am running a bubbler strip, and have left the tank slightly short of water for more filter turbulence. I waited for my ammonia to go and eventually it did. I am reaching the end of the cycle now. I tried to maintain 3-4ppm ammonia until I started to see the nitrite gain. I also seeded the tank from a good known disease free tank. This forum is awesome with a lot of knowledge.
__________________
diver4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver4ever View Post
I am not an expert on this and am learning myself. I can tell you this, I increased my tank temp to 84 degrees. I am running a bubbler strip, and have left the tank slightly short of water for more filter turbulence. I waited for my ammonia to go and eventually it did. I am reaching the end of the cycle now. I tried to maintain 3-4ppm ammonia until I started to see the nitrite gain. I also seeded the tank from a good known disease free tank. This forum is awesome with a lot of knowledge.
Yeah, I don't have an established tank :/ or else I would've done that! I also have a bubbler strip however I filled my tank up to the brim today. How long did you wait??
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
diver4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 16
Oh my gosh, I am on week three and waiting for the nitrite decline. It is a test of patience. I am dosing to 4ppm ammonia, and within 24 hours it is back down to .50ppm. I know it's working but the nitrite decline is trying my patience Congrats on doing the fishless cycle. Hang in there it will happen. I never thought the ammonia would move but all of a sudden it started declining.
__________________
diver4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver4ever View Post
Oh my gosh, I am on week three and waiting for the nitrite decline. It is a test of patience. I am dosing to 4ppm ammonia, and within 24 hours it is back down to .50ppm. I know it's working but the nitrite decline is trying my patience Congrats on doing the fishless cycle. Hang in there it will happen. I never thought the ammonia would move but all of a sudden it started declining.
Oh ok cool! Well thanks for assuring me there is still hope! Haha congrats on your cycle though!!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armymp327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 685
you can also look at these, they are active sponge filters and will help your tank cycle much much sooner, i used one in my 38 gallon tank i cycled a few months ago, and it took 1 week to fully cycle once i introduced these.

Aquarium Active Sponge Filters

id recommend 2 day shipping at the least if you decide to get one so that bacteria will still be alive when its gets to you. i did not use the sponge filter the way it should be used, i cut up pieces of it and put in my filters, and the rest just went in the tank, i also dumped all of the water that was in the bag into the tank (per the instructions).

they say red ramhorn snails are a possible passenger on them, though i had none on the sponge and still dont a few months later.
__________________
armymp327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymp327 View Post
you can also look at these, they are active sponge filters and will help your tank cycle much much sooner, i used one in my 38 gallon tank i cycled a few months ago, and it took 1 week to fully cycle once i introduced these.

Aquarium Active Sponge Filters

id recommend 2 day shipping at the least if you decide to get one so that bacteria will still be alive when its gets to you. i did not use the sponge filter the way it should be used, i cut up pieces of it and put in my filters, and the rest just went in the tank, i also dumped all of the water that was in the bag into the tank (per the instructions).

they say red ramhorn snails are a possible passenger on them, though i had none on the sponge and still dont a few months later.
Oh wow! Thank you so much! Ill have to check them out!!! Would I be able to remove the snails if they get into my tank??
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armymp327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 685
sure, im not sure how much ramhorns breed, but an assassin snail or two would take care of them if it came down to that, and no problem!
__________________
armymp327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymp327 View Post
sure, im not sure how much ramhorns breed, but an assassin snail or two would take care of them if it came down to that, and no problem!
Oh ok cool!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Ok, so on the 4th, I posted this thread stating how my ammonia was at 5ish, the day after that I posted that I did a water change. It brought my ammonia down to 2. Today I checked it again and now it's at 4 again. What could possibly releasing ammonia in my tank?? Do dead plants or plants that have some brown in them release ammonia?? Help please!! I have a good amount of java ferns and 3 Kyoto grass plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2317474515.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	172740   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2970336356.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	172741  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-466795518.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	172742  
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Anyone?
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
diver4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 16
Hey Ryan. I'm sure someone on here will help you out. They have helped me greatly with knowledge and a test of patience. In my finite aquarium mind, I would think any organic material, plant life, etc, all are subject to decay and ammonia release. Again that is just my thinking. My tank has finally turned the corner and is creating nitrates. I had to do 8 water changes to get the nitrites squared away, but it seems to be getting in line now. I remember watching my ammonia not move for weeks, and then one day the nitrites were there in full force. Good luck and congrats on patience.
__________________
diver4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Did you vac up all the fish food when you did a water change? Does the result look green or blue green again? Have you tested your tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Some more info will help!
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armymp327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 685
If you have any decaying plant matter then yes that can add ammonia to the tank
__________________
armymp327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver4ever View Post
Hey Ryan. I'm sure someone on here will help you out. They have helped me greatly with knowledge and a test of patience. In my finite aquarium mind, I would think any organic material, plant life, etc, all are subject to decay and ammonia release. Again that is just my thinking. My tank has finally turned the corner and is creating nitrates. I had to do 8 water changes to get the nitrites squared away, but it seems to be getting in line now. I remember watching my ammonia not move for weeks, and then one day the nitrites were there in full force. Good luck and congrats on patience.
Ah ok! And thanks! Good to hear yours started!
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×