Fishless cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After much research and deliberation, I have decided to use the fishless cycle for my 10g to 60g upgrade. I am reading an using the article on this site to guide me however I have 2 questions:

1. I want to move over the filter media from my Aqueon 10g filter. It's a carbon filter. The instructions say put it on top of the new filter but it's too big to fit. So should I just put it in the tank itself? Or cut it up and put the fabric/sponge parts on top of the new filter? (New one is a Aquaclear 70g).

2. I want to also move the gravel from the 10g into the 60g to help build the BB. The problem is that I still have fish in the 10g. How would I remove it without stressing them out?

Thanks in advance for the help.......

95% of the BBs are in the filter media. So moving gravel won't so much change anything... I would throw your actual fish in the new tank with the old filter running with the new one...

Put your 10g fish in the 60g, run both filter on the 60g, wait 3-4 weeks, your tank is cycled. Don't add new fishs during this process.

I would do a 100% WC in the fishless 60g before you introduce the fishs, and wait temperature stabilize.

That was my first plan but I worry about losing fish. I know it's faster with the BB from the old tank but it will still have to cycle, right? I have tetras and mollies. How much danger do you think there is of losing fish that way?

60g tank won't cycle if there's no ammonia/bioload in it... I think in this volume, there's no dangers. Just try it, and monitor ammonia/nitrites, you'll see... Ammonia should not come over 0.25ppm for almost sure.

You can dose BB in bottles, like Nutrafin Cycle...

I think cycle is determined by the bioload vs BBs and not about water volume. If you keep same bioload and the same filter (same BB amount), then it should not mini-cycle...

I've did it and it worked for me, without ammonia showing on my tests readings when I upgraded my 10g to 29g.

Ok thanks! I will try and hope for the best.

I wish you success, and trust me, just run both filters for 3-4 weeks and your main 60g filter will be cycled. No ammonia spike should occur, but maybe traces, as the water volume is bigger and will get enterly filtered by the 10g filter in more time.

But that's this trace ammonia that will feed your new filter.

Don't forget the huge WC in the 60g before doing this, maybe you now have ammonia... Some substrate/new setups contains ammonia for no reason...

Sorry one more questions! Instead if the huge WC can't I just test for ammonia and only do it if its present?

Sorry one more questions! Instead if the huge WC can't I just test for ammonia and only do it if its present?

You can, but when you add water to new setup, there's always scrap released like silicates, industry oils and others, so that's why I tell you 100%WC. Anyway, there's no constraints like fish or BB that make you unable to do 100%, and this is the only occasion you will have to make 100%WC without moving fishs from the tank.

That's like rinsing a new tank... I regreat I didn't did it the first time, I had to deal with industry oil for one month...

If you don't have a Python water changer, then just test for ammonia... In my case, changing 60g water with my Python WC would take no more than 10 minutes...

You can, but when you add water to new setup, there's always scrap released like silicates, industry oils and others, so that's why I tell you 100%WC. Anyway, there's no constraints like fish or BB that make you unable to do 100%, and this is the only occasion you will have to make 100%WC without moving fishs from the tank.

That's like rinsing a new tank... I regreat I didn't did it the first time, I had to deal with industry oil for one month...

If you don't have a Python water changer, then just test for ammonia... In my case, changing 60g water with my Python WC would take no more than 10 minutes...

Actually I did just order a Python WC today! So I guess I will just wait for it to arrive. Plus......I did make a rookie mistake this week. I set up the 60g then decided to move it. Drained all the water into plastic storage containers but didn't think to rinse them first. There were only toys/clothes in them before I emptied them but who knows what that may have gotten into the water. Moved the tank then put the water back. So.....you're right. 100% WC it is for that reason also. Annoying as I am eager to get started and now I have to wait for the Python but better to do it right!

Thanks

Actually I did just order a Python WC today! So I guess I will just wait for it to arrive. Plus......I did make a rookie mistake this week. I set up the 60g then decided to move it. Drained all the water into plastic storage containers but didn't think to rinse them first. There were only toys/clothes in them before I emptied them but who knows what that may have gotten into the water. Moved the tank then put the water back. So.....you're right. 100% WC it is for that reason also. Annoying as I am eager to get started and now I have to wait for the Python but better to do it right!

Thanks

I did a simillar mistake, I leveled the tank with cardboard. When I added water, it unlevelled :p

Empty the tank, localize it where you like it, level it with paint wood sticks pieces, then refill it. Pyton WC is one of your best order !

As the old says, better safe than worry !

I did a simillar mistake, I leveled the tank with cardboard. When I added water, it unlevelled :p

Empty the tank, localize it where you like it, level it with paint wood sticks pieces, then refill it. Pyton WC is one of your best order !

As the old says, better safe than worry !

Hmmm.......ok now you raise a new problem. How important is the leveling? It's not 100% level but not far off. Does it need to be perfect?

The more it's perfect, the best the water line will fit with the top tank line.

I used a leveler to do it, try to do it the best possible. I used paint wood stick (The one we use to mix paint). Available in paint stores for 15 cents.

The most important thing is that the aquarium stand must not be loose and can't move. Or it will potentially make mess later. (You know, like a old chair not leveled that move), you don't want the water to move that much -.-.

Make sure you put the 60g in a place where the floor is solid, it will weight something around 550 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom