Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of doing a fishless cycle and had a question. I have been adding pure ammonia for over a week now. I can convert the ammonia to nitrite very quickly however I am having trouble developing the next stage bacteria. I sometimes have very large nitrite reading. I also have slightly different nitrate readings sometimes. So my question is would high nitrites inhibit the cycle in any way? And would they throw off my nitrate readings at all?

Yes, it seems readings that are too high can stall the cycle.
Most try to keep the readings in the 4ppm to 6ppm range. It seems to stall around 8ppm or so. This may vary with other water parameters. I haven't found a study or testing done on this yet tho. If your too high do a PWC to bring the readings down a bit.
Currently what are your readings?
If you are converting ammonia to nitrite efficiently, just dose .25ppm to .50ppm ammonia to keep that part of the cycle going. The critters to convert the nitrite to nitrate will catch up fast.

Last edited:
Last night I put it three cap fulls which I have found to equal pretty close to 5ppm and I just did a test and it is less .5 already. The Nitrite hovers over 5ppm unless I do a water change to bring it down. My water has a fairly steady 10ppm nitrates and I haven't seen to much change from that yet. Just slight variations. I will do a larger water change this afternoon and try to go from there.

Did you seed your tank?
If so you need to re-seed it when you get nitrite. the Nitrite to nitrate bacteria mostly starves before nitrite starts showing up.(there are 2 different bacteria, one consumes amonia the other nitrite)
Yes high level of any of the 3 will stall a cycle. I stalled a cycle once with high nitrate.
PS: something else I found that helps. Put half of your amonia in in the morning and the other half in the evening so your bacteria get a more steady diet and not a big spike.

I did indeed know that there are two different types of bacteria. And no I didn't seed my tank but I am in the process of preparing a seed item. I bought a filter sponge to put in the back of my buddy's filter. (I can't take his gravel because he is heavily planted.) And he has a ten gallon tank so really no filter media to speak of. But I will try the smaller doses of ammonia throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom