fishless cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
where have you looked? hardware stores seem like the place to go. look for "clear" ammonia or "janitorial strength"

if you really can't find any, you can always use raw shrimp from the grocery store

My advice is - look places where you wouldn't think you would find it. I bought mine at a lumber store.

ACE is the only place that I've found it... but i've heard the dollar store has it. Walmart usually has a janitors cleaning place over around the hardware section, they *might* have it.

I got mine at Meijers.
img_1131381_0_8ea01197debd03e5af70e71d3c406b24.jpg

You could also get some shrimp from the grocery store. Put them in a mesh bag and leave them in the tank... or fish food. But those are stinky and messy, respectively.

MT: Just found clear ammonia at True Value and I've already put in the tank. Hoorah! I don't know why I didn't think of hardware stores carrying it, because hardware stores are my favorite next to 5 & 10s. The days of 5 & 10s are long past I'm afraid. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Don't buy it from Walmart. Unless they changed their formula again within the past 3 years, they started adding surfactant to their ammonia.

I finally found it at True Value hardware store. I've seeded the tank, put in a bubbler, shut off the lights and now I wait. Fun isn't it. I'm so hooked on aquariums I'm afraid of what I might do in the future....large tanks and no where to put them? lol

lol... i see some MTS coming on!!!! be sure to keep the temp between 80-85 to speed up the cycle even more :D

mommytron: The heat's up to 85, the bubbler is going, lights are off, seeded tank with an ornament from my cycled 10 gal. (which I'm replacing with the new 20 gal) and a pinch of pulverized flake food. Now I wait and make sure the ammonia doesn't go below 2ppm. Thanks for replying.

Back
Top Bottom