Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all...

I'm doing a fishless cycle on a 10gal that I plan to use as a QT. It's been up and running for 4 weeks. I started dosing to 4ppm ammonia and after 2 weeks it started to decline and nitrites appeared. After another few days nitrates started appearing. I've continued to dose with ammonia to about the same amount. Right now it will convert all the ammonia in less than 24 hours. The nitrites are off the scale, nitrates about 10ppm.

I have a some questions.

Do I have to continue to dose with ammonia? I'm thinking yes in order to feed the bacteria.

Will high nitrites stall the cycle? Should I do a water change?

Generally how long will it take before the nitrites start to decrease? I know that the bacteria needed in this case is slower growing.

thanks guys, I love this resource

As far as I know, yes, you need to keep providing an ammonia source.
And from what I have heard, water changes slow down the cycle. Also, I doubt that high nitrates will stall the cycle, I see no reason why they would. But I am not an expert as others are on this forum.

In my ten gal, nitrites didn't seem to take too long to go to zero, and my cycle was done in less than 4 weeks, so I'm sure you're close

No you can stop adding ammonia now. You have plenty. The bacteria won't starve. Also nitrites normally fall after about 33 days so you don't have much longer to wait.

Please can you tell me what day in to the cycle nitrites become 0ppm?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Only add more Ammonia when the kit reads 0. Do not add more earlier. That will stall the process, making it slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom