Fishless cycling with filter media ??s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am letting my new 30gal tall cycle with filter media from my other tank. My other tank was only about 1/2 way through the cycle, so I assume thats why I'm seeing readings like this in the new tank. Not sure though, what do you think?...

Ammo 0
Nitrite Off the charts (probably 10ppm+)
Nitrate 20

A few days ago Ammo was at .5 and now its 0, so I figure its being consumed. I added a bunch of found dw and sandstone the other day, could that be adding to the Nitrite?

My more established tank with fish in is having Nitrite spikes too, which im controlling with pwc's. Nitrate in that tank is about 10ppm.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. I'm hoping that it means that my tank is just cycling as it is supposed to. Thanks!

I would'nt have taken any media out of your first tank until it was completely done cycling but if your ammo is down to 0 and still reading "trites" I'd say your half way there.

Cichlid Kid said:
I would'nt have taken any media out of your first tank until it was completely done cycling but if your ammo is down to 0 and still reading "trites" I'd say your half way there.

Thanks a ton! I hope so! I'll test again tomorrow an post it. :)

Back
Top Bottom