Fishless, nitrates in 8 days.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
After a little overdose of ammonia on the first day, this fishless cycle thing seems to be coming right along :)

I was adding 14 drops of 10% ammonium hydroxide daily starting 11/20. Cut back to 7 drops a day on 11/24 when nitrites started to show up. Yesterday's tests seemed to have a hint of nitrates. Today nitrates shot up to 40ppm and ammonia is down to lowest yet at .25 ppm!

GO GO bacteria!

At this rate I could be ready for fish this week! w00t!

I seeded it with about a half cup of gravel from my very good, very clean LFS. I am also keeping the temp at 81, and I think that has helped.

Some people have said you shouldn't do water changes during the cycling, but since I had to anyway (from my ammonia spill first time 'feeding' the tank :oops: ) I have kept doing them, partly to practice and partly to 'condition' my bacteria. I figure if some bacteria are likely to die if I turn the filter off for 15-20 minutes, I don't want those weak bacteria anyway. The tough ones that can survive a water change will thrive on.
:twisted:

Sunday morning water tests show ammonia at 0ppm, nitrites steadily high and nitrates climbing.

Ammonia at 0ppm feels like a milestone. YAY!

Fish soon :mrgreen: The lfs has a dozen ~1" Aul. Ngaras, a couple of the bigger guys showing a tiny bit of color along the top of the dorsal.

Do Aul. Ngaras in hand beat Aul. Baenschis not yet ordered?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_baenschi.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_ngara.php

This is the lfs I have been talking to about ordering Baenschis anyway, I may just go down and put a deposit on those Ngara. I have been watching the little guys for weeks, and they are happy, healthy looking little fish.

BTW: There is one excellent lfs here in my area, I don't go to the other ones anymore, the sad looking fish bum me out :(

Congratulations Enki! 0 ppm ammonia *is* a milestone... I am so glad to hear about your fishless cycling, and how well it's working. I hope it will inspire others to do the same!

Yes,i know i was unable to find pure ammonia so i cut up a 4 to 5 inch long shrimp from my freezer and put that in the tank,it essentially cycled my 150 gallon in 15 days.It worked very well.
dorson

Ace hardware. The 'Janitorial strength formula' is 10% ammonium hydroxide solution.

Nitrites did not start to fall until I did a massive water change and re-inoculated with more LFS gravel. I think the extreme high levels of one chem after another really weakened the nitrite eaters.

So learn my lesson and be very conservative in adding ammonia. I would actually recommend the second inoculation in general as well, not that I have a lot of experience :) but it really kick-started the second phase nicely.

My fish should be here Sunday, and I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom