Fishtank in front of a window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molotov256

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know putting a tank infront of a window is bad, because the direct sunlight causes algae growth. But what if the fish tank is facing away from the window and has a solid background on the side that would be facing out the window? I'd really like the way the room would look a lot more if I could put the tank there, but I don't want to have an algae bloom start.

I would think you would still have a problem with the top and sides being exposed to the light and or uv rays.

I have had an aquarium by a window but with a shade over it...I never had a problem ever...but I also have an algea eater fish.

how much light do you get from the window? Would you be getting enough light that it could affect your temps? Also, who cares about sunlight ... just get some good algae control fish.

Back in the early days of fishkeeping when there was no electricity people kept tanks in windows for practical reasons. There is no problem with this as long as you adjust the setup accordingly. No need for lighting while the sun is shining in the window, and lights could be on only for a few hours during the part of the day where there is no sun, so there is no more than 10-11 hours of sunlight/artificial light total. If you have a sunny window then all the more reason to grow plants in the tank.

If you have thriving plants that photosynthesize well, you won't have algae problems because the nutrients in the water will be utilized. It will be a balancing act but it certainly can be done.

Just an alternative perspective :wink:

TankGirl said:
Back in the early days of fishkeeping when there was no electricity people kept tanks in windows for practical reasons.

That is a while back....Pre-1925 at least....I have some photos of old, kerosene-heated aquaria.

Okay here is a question that is somewhat related to the ORIGINAL question:
Is putting a tank directily in front of a window comparable to putting a tank in a room with a lot of sunlight??

For example, I have a tank in a room that gets a TON of natural sunlight, from the south side of the room (from MI), but not directly: the sun doesn't shine on it. The sun's pathway barely passes underleath the aquarium. . .

So I guess my question is this: is indirect sunlight going to have the same/or comparable effect as direct sunlight? I realize it depends on your tanks lighting, but how much of a difference is indirect VS direct sunight going to make? I certainly don't want an algae bloom b/c of it!!

I've done it. tried to keep the shades down when the sun was coming in (faced west). Definitely had a lot of algae. Eventually moved it to get away from direct and heavy indirect sunlight. Fish were happy enough either place. Oh - I think Dr. Axelrod suggested putting the back to the window and never scraping the algae off the back, creating a natural background.
Tom

I put my 75 gal in front of the family room window (faces west) because that was really the only place I could put it, and it looks beautiful. I put a double backing on the tank, and I keep the blinds partially closed so it doesn't get direct sunlight in the afternoon. However, I do still get algae but it's controllable, I just scrub it off. I think I'm going to get a pleco for that tank, though.

so I guess what you're saying is ... stick it where the sun don't shine !!!

jk

if its not a large tank ... ie: requiring redecorating the entire room ... why not just run a little test ... put it in front of the window for a while to see what happens ... if you get uncontrollable algae then move it.

But, yes I believe that the algae will be held in check by plants, algae eaters, and keeping your filter clean (this is my personal opinion cuz I only get algae if I'm negligent in keeping my filter clean ... not sure why ... but it seems to work like that)

I think you definatly have to worry about the heat issue also...althought the sunlight can be controlled and the algea can be controlled make sure you don't forget the heat issue. i know in my room where my tanks are if I were to have them near the front window (south west) the temps would spike every day, then cool down at night. Thats why I keep them on away from the windows.

Back
Top Bottom