Fishy is bottom sitting, is he ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willikris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! Been awhile since I've posted! I recently updated my tank to a new one! I have a black moor who used to live in a 20 gallon and I upgraded to a 30gal. I changed from gravel substrate to sand. When switching I literally took all the decorations in my old tank and placed them in the new, as well as transferred my two 20gal aquaclear HOB filters. I want to give the tank time to build up the appropriate bacteria before I do any more aquascaping.

I'm checking water parameters daily and they are spot on. No issues with that...but my poor fish is bottom sitting all day. He's eating like a champ when I feed him, but doesn't move much other than that.

Is he just getting used to the environment? Or could this be a serious issue?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

He's lonesome. Goldies are very social and need company. Keep a close watch on your nitrites and ammonia.

I'm watching perimeters closely! Don't want an ammonia spike with all the changes!! My poor guy is probably lonely. 30 gal is pushing for two goldfish though..yeah??

Even the one you have now will outgrow a 30 gallon eventually, but if you keep up the water changes you could get a buddy for him now and upgrade as soon you can. I think you'd see a happier fishy ;)

I bet it's more of a stress issue than anything else. I understand some fish do better in numbers but it sitting on the gravel has little to do with "happy or not happy"
Give it a a couple of days for it to get used to his new surroundings, fish get easily stressed when moved around.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bet it's more of a stress issue than anything else. I understand some fish do better in numbers but it sitting on the gravel has little to do with "happy or not happy"
Give it a a couple of days for it to get used to his new surroundings, fish get easily stressed when moved around.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Of course it's a stress issue. Another goldfish in his tank would reduce stress = happy fish. Studies have shown that goldfish thrive on companionship, they've even been known to die in solitude.

Back
Top Bottom