Fishy Poo...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay... gross... I know... I know.

What does it mean when a fishes poop looks more like "sausage casing, no filling"? My dwarf Gourami has been pushing these kinds of poops out for a little bit now... and they can sometimes get rediculously long like 3 or 4 inches... do we have a problem?

ewww

I thought that it might be the food I was using, but its not like its extra waste... its clear... literally like a sausage casing.

The fish that is doing this does tend to have some issues getting to food. I have to be very careful how I feed my tank, or my fearsome foursome of danios will bo-guard all the food I put in. I've seen them snatch stuff from other fish as they were opening their mouths to bite down! Lil pigs...

So I was surfing around the site looking for info on the "poo problem" my Dwarf Gourami is having, and I am seeing lots of "if the poop is long and clear, you have internal parasites." Is this right? If so, what steps should I start to take? Is a QT needed, or can I treat in tank?

Thanks!

White or clear poo can indicate internal parasites. This is not always the case mind you. You can try feeding some medicated food for internal parasites, if it isn't parasites the food will not harm the fish.

Do you happen to have a brand you recommend?

Also, on a side note, I was doing some more web research and there were many who said anti-parisite food was a shaky idea as they only evacuated the parisites rather than kill? The sites were a bit dated, so is that still true? Is that because they were only feeding and not taking all the needed steps (for instance, flushing things out w/ frequent PWC's?)

Here we go again w/ this fish... He's gonna kill my finances :rolleyes:

I use Jungle and have had very good success. You can treat with a medicine such as Prazi Pro but keep in mind it can affect the bacteria in the tank. Better IMO if possible to QT and treat.

So are you saying #1 choice is to QT and treat the water? Is the food solution as a tankwide solution as good an option, or does it open up risks that are not favorable?

Sorry for asking so many q's.. after you helped me out w/ this fish before, I have really come to value your opinion.

Thanks!

No problem on the questions. I was there once believe me! I would try the medicated food for starters as if they are eating it will treat them all. Sometimes they won't eat the medicated food though. You can crush it into smaller bites if need be.

Back
Top Bottom