Fishy Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my tank, and I have a few minnows and I put in two tiny (4 inch) largemouth bass. Before the bass went in, the water smelt fine with just the minnows, but after 24 hours with the bass in the water is starting to smell quite fishy. Is there anything I can do to lessen the smell?

you can try feeding less and changing water more often.. do you have carbon in your filter media?

What size tank is it? Did the tank cycle already? Largemouth bass are big eaters and I would think you would need a very large tank even to grow them out.

The tank has not yet cycled, I just got it about a week ago and I got impatient :oops: . It's a 33 gallon tank, with an AquaFilter 50, so it has the sponge filter, carbon, and bio-max.

In my opinion you shouldn't try to keep largemouth bass in a 33 gallon tank. Are they wild caught? That tank is just too small. Also, I'm not one to jump on a soapbox about fishless cycling. I have cycled every tank I have ever had with fish. But there is a way to do that safely and humanely and then there's the crapshoot route. I definitely feel it's inhumane to plunk some wild caught large mouth bass in to an uncycled 33 gallon tank. Sorry! :uhoh:

Also what are you feeding these guys? They are BIG eaters. Soon enough they will eat the minnows and you will have to provide them a steady diet of live food, I believe. Flakes and what not aren't going to cut it.

Please refrain from posting childish nonesense. People come here to learn and get help, not be waylayed by useless posts.

edited by steve-s

The smell is getting worse and worse. Is there any product (safe product) that I could buy to reduce the smell? I just changed the water and it did help a little, but it's still there. What if I reduce from the two bass to one? Would that help any?

asap clean out your filters do a pwc about 30% if you have carbon, you might want to put some in the filter media, that will help a little with the smell. bad smells are usually from overfeeding..

why why why would you do that to those poor fish? For one they are going to eat the minnows.. and also those are going to be HUGE fish!!! Why would you keep them as a pet? Where did you get them from?

Native fish tanks can be cool, but in my opinion you should only capture fish that are legal to take and that can be housed from juvi to adulthood.

There is no way you can realistically house 2 large mouth bass, unless you have a gigantic tank.

Many people will keep wild fish for a certain period in their home aquarium and then release them, but I kind of frown on that. First, the fish, once adapted to being fed in an aquarium, will no longer have their natural "street smarts" so to speak. Second, the fish are often undernourished and growth stunted if kept for long periods. Third, it is quite possible that the fish may pick up a disease during their period of captivity and then expose native fish to this disease once they are re-released.

talloulou said:
Native fish tanks can be cool, but in my opinion you should only capture fish that are legal to take and that can be housed from juvi to adulthood.

There is no way you can realistically house 2 large mouth bass, unless you have a gigantic tank.

Many people will keep wild fish for a certain period in their home aquarium and then release them, but I kind of frown on that. First, the fish, once adapted to being fed in an aquarium, will no longer have their natural "street smarts" so to speak. Second, the fish are often undernourished and growth stunted if kept for long periods. Third, it is quite possible that the fish may pick up a disease during their period of captivity and then expose native fish to this disease once they are re-released.

I agree that native fish can be cool.. IF they are LEGAL and not to HUGE like a beautiful large mouth bass. I think it is just cruel to try to keep one as a pet.
Also the chemicals you use for water conditioner and if you ever treat with meds say "not to use on fish for food purposes" well you may not plan on eating it, but if you ever release it back into the wild "oops it got too big" then some fisherman catches and filets it.. well they might get sick!!!
Dude.. just let the bass go or get a HUGE tank.. im talkin at least 300 gallons ok?

You should put them bass back in the pond/lake/river that you caught them in... You are gunna kill them.

Back
Top Bottom