Five Gallon Betta Hex Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeoB301

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, everyone! This is my first time posting despite stalking the forums for the last month or so.

I am writing in regards to how much water I should change in my five gallon hex aquarium? I have had this aquarium for about two weeks, but I spent the first week cycling the aquarium. Today was the first time I changed the water and I did a 50% water change.

In this tank, I have a cave, two live plants, and a single male Betta who I have grown extremely attached to. His name is Louie. :cool:

I have grown concerned after today's cleaning (I have a vacuum and sucked up the leftover food particles and waste from the week). I have read that with tanks lower than ten gallons, it is wise to do a fifty percent water change. This tank has the Eclipse Filter Cartridge and BIO-Wheel filter system. This filter does not run constantly, however. It seemed super strong when I put Louie in--he seemed to be pushed all over the aquarium. I now keep it on during the day and shut it off at night so he can rest peacefully. It seems to have definitely beefed him up as he now plays in the current, so I could probably keep the filter running constantly if recommended.

Anyways, the original question was do you think I could get off with doing a one gallon water change weekly? I'm concerned because the heater makes his water ~78-80 degrees. After the change, it dropped to ~70. I don't want my little buddy to go in shock because of a huge drop in water temperature. I 'rescued' him the day after Christmas--he was in a peace lily set up, made his way to a 1 gallon tank, and after my last paycheck made it up to his current home. Needless to say, I have grown very attached to the little guy and have spent quite a few more dollars than I originally budgeted. He's worth every cent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 89
Hello, everyone! This is my first time posting despite stalking the forums for the last month or so.

I am writing in regards to how much water I should change in my five gallon hex aquarium? I have had this aquarium for about two weeks, but I spent the first week cycling the aquarium. Today was the first time I changed the water and I did a 50% water change.

In this tank, I have a cave, two live plants, and a single male Betta who I have grown extremely attached to. His name is Louie. :cool:

I have grown concerned after today's cleaning (I have a vacuum and sucked up the leftover food particles and waste from the week). I have read that with tanks lower than ten gallons, it is wise to do a fifty percent water change. This tank has the Eclipse Filter Cartridge and BIO-Wheel filter system. This filter does not run constantly, however. It seemed super strong when I put Louie in--he seemed to be pushed all over the aquarium. I now keep it on during the day and shut it off at night so he can rest peacefully. It seems to have definitely beefed him up as he now plays in the current, so I could probably keep the filter running constantly if recommended.

Anyways, the original question was do you think I could get off with doing a one gallon water change weekly? I'm concerned because the heater makes his water ~78-80 degrees. After the change, it dropped to ~70. I don't want my little buddy to go in shock because of a huge drop in water temperature. I 'rescued' him the day after Christmas--he was in a peace lily set up, made his way to a 1 gallon tank, and after my last paycheck made it up to his current home. Needless to say, I have grown very attached to the little guy and have spent quite a few more dollars than I originally budgeted. He's worth every cent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

First off how did you cycle? 1 week is not long enough to cycle a tank without seeding.
Temp drops like that will kill him. Try to match the water temp with refills.
Until you are completely cycled you need those large water changes. Afterwards you can do smaller ones.

I took a cup full of the aquarium gravel in Louie's old 1 gallon tank and used two cups of his water that he was in and poured it over the BIO-Wheel.

Oh! And I also added a single flake of fish food every day. Forgot to add that and not sure how to edit on the mobile app. Sorry!

Okay, so first, betta's prefer a weak flow, because they're easily pushed away.
So you need to be doing at least 2 gallons to 3 gallons change for you're aquarium. Also, check the water's temp by hand and match the temperature you're replacing it with. a drop of 10 degrees will easily kill you're fish in no time.(The drop is more dangerous then going back up).

Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare

I am doing this but cutting it smaller. I have The EXACT same tank. I got mine on sale Amazon

That's a great idea! Would you mind posting a pic of where you taped the top? I'm not sure if this would work for that aquarium, but you have the same one so a visual would definitely help me determine what I need to do. Sorry for being a pain!

I took a cup full of the aquarium gravel in Louie's old 1 gallon tank and used two cups of his water that he was in and poured it over the BIO-Wheel.

Ok you are nkt cycled 99% sure. You need to do mord water changes until cycled. Gravel does not cycle a tank even though it was taught fkr years.

To Oceangirl: I think thats a great idea! Would you be able to post a picture of where you taped the end of the bottle? I can't think of where I would tape it in our aquarium's setup. Did you tape it in the BIO-wheel area? Does the constant water not affect the effectiveness of the tape?

To GodFan: Oh! Ok. How will I know when my tank is fully cycled? I thought, from all that I have read, that gravel from an established tank helps with the cyclying of a new tank since that is where all of the beneficial bacteria resides? I definitely appreciate having that cleared up.

To Oceangirl: I think thats a great idea! Would you be able to post a picture of where you taped the end of the bottle? I can't think of where I would tape it in our aquarium's setup. Did you tape it in the BIO-wheel area? Does the constant water not affect the effectiveness of the tape?

To GodFan: Oh! Ok. How will I know when my tank is fully cycled? I thought, from all that I have read, that gravel from an established tank helps with the cyclying of a new tank since that is where all of the beneficial bacteria resides? I definitely appreciate having that cleared up.

You are cycled when you have 0 ammonia and nitrites and only nitrates. The gravel may help the process go quicker but not instant. Do you have another tank?

On the other side of the filter right where I circled, I taped the end. I can't find my camera. use duct tape when filter is dry

Attachments

• filtermotor.jpg
    filtermotor.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 47
Oceangirl: Thanks! I just did this. It was super simple. Does it seem like it is working for you? I think I can tell that it cut the flow a little, but it also seeks like it may be sending the flow to the back? Haha. I could be a total dunce and not have done it right. I can upload a pic if you want.

As you can all tell, I'm definitely a newbie.

GodFan: No, I do not have another tank. I used the gravel that came with Louie in his original setup. He was in a peace lily. Who knows for how long. I'm sure he was put in there, in transit, and sat at the store for a good amount of time. His water was super cloudy and very sad when I purchased him.

I read that male Bettas are happy when they make bubble nests. Something about liking the environment enough to care for offspring? If that's the case, little Louie is thrilled. Of course, that could be totally wrong too. I'm so glad I found this forum where people actually are willing to help and give accurate information.

image-3707477192.jpg

I'm actually going to say that the bottle trick worked. He seems to be swimming all over the place without any issues. Even his fins barely move when he does swim near the current. Thanks for that website!

your welcome make sure to hit our thanks button please! in our posts. It keeps the good karma going!

As you can all tell, I'm definitely a newbie.

GodFan: No, I do not have another tank. I used the gravel that came with Louie in his original setup. He was in a peace lily. Who knows for how long. I'm sure he was put in there, in transit, and sat at the store for a good amount of time. His water was super cloudy and very sad when I purchased him.

Ok you have to cycle then. You need to test your water as often as possible. If amm gets above .25 do a water change. Eventually it will not show amm or nitrite anymore.

My change water is Prime(d) and heated with a heater to match the tank's temperature. I prepare the water in a five gallon Home Depot orange bucket at least a day prior to the water change. I like to give the bubbles time to offgas from the water so I try to do it two days in advance.

Back
Top Bottom