Five gallon questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
How much will a full five gallon aquarium with substrate and minimal decor cost? I'm looking at small end tables and accent tables for it to go in my dining area in my apartment. All my current flat surfaces are being used.
I need to know how much it'll way before I buy a stand or table. I don't wanna buy one and it not be sturdy enough.

That's a really really variable question. With access to the stores that I have; I could probably do a heater, tank, filter, and substrate for about $20 - $30

You can get a 50lb bag of sand from lowes, home depot, or tractor supply co for $5-$10 depending on what you want

A small HOB filter can cost you $10-$20 A sponge filter and bubbler can run you about the same.

Tank you can figure about $10 unless you want a designer tank

A heater can cost you from $10-$30 depending on how much you want to spend. You get what you pay for where these are concerned.

A light / hood will run you from about $15 - $100 depending on whether you want to do live plants or not.

Thanks! What about weight as well... when I'm looking for a stand anyway.

You could also look on the classifieds or local Facebook fish groups. They go for cheap & often have everything included. As for weight, 1 gallon weighs about 8 lbs. The total weight would depend on what other things you add

Privately owned local fish stores are the single best place to get equipment. I bought 5 10g tanks from my LFS at 8-10 a piece. I even managed to get my 55g with a very nice stand for $100

Privately owned local fish stores are the single best place to get equipment. I bought 5 10g tanks from my LFS at 8-10 a piece. I even managed to get my 55g with a very nice stand for $100

I would go to one if there was one near by. All I've got are chain stores within like 20 miles or so.

For a stand you will need something that's solid wood. Nothing made of fibre/chip board. It will bow under the weight.

I may buy the supplies and have my dad make it when I visit my parents. I can get supplies to build my own... but don't have the actual equipment to cut and build one myself. Especially when I live in a college apartment. If I end up having him build me one, what are the suggested dimensions for a five gallon? It is the five gallon hex tank from marineland. And from corner to corner is about 13" wide. That's the widest it is. And I was thinking of allowing 1" on each side? I kinda want to make a square one. And the one inch each side be at the widest points. Then have it be about 2-3 ft tall.

I have my thirty gallon on a dresser that's about one inch extra on each side and is about 2.5 feet tall. And the dresser is holding up well as far as I can see. I check it weekly during my cleanings for bowing or changing shape, and cracking just in case. So far after 5 months on the dresser it's doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom